View Full Version : Do You Use RSS On Your Mobile Device?

Ed Hansberry
01-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Do you use RSS feeds on your mobile device? I am trying to get a feel for how many do use it and their usage patterns. I am going to have an identical poll post later today with the exact same questions, but as it applies to the desktop. For some of you, your answers will be identical and for others, it will be totally different.

heov
01-20-2006, 07:23 PM
my home page is a portal that has some of my rss feeds (that link to the full article).

i used to use rss before i got a wifi pocket pc (via journal bar that would update when synced. now i never sync my device).

that_kid
01-20-2006, 07:42 PM
I used to use a reader installed on my device but for the past few months I've been using bloglines mobile page. The biggest problem I had before was keeping all my feeds in sync so if I read them on my device I wouldn't have to acknowledge them again on the pc.

krisdb
01-20-2006, 07:58 PM
I use Google's personalized page as my start page in PIE. I also use Bloglines mobile to read feeds and I use Egress to download and listen to podcasts. This is on my Axim x30.

murph
01-20-2006, 08:00 PM
considering i found this topic/poll via Bloglines mobile, i believe the answer to your question is yes.

Bloglines mobile version is well formatted and the fact that it stays "synched" with which articles i've already read is helpful. plus you can "keep as new" any article you'd rather read later on a PC.

Vincent M Ferrari
01-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Yes I do... Through Bloglines, this way I don't have to maintain three computers and a PDA full of feeds all being different.

And Bloglines works AWESOMELY (is that a word?! :roll: ) on the PPC and Smartphone.

whydidnt
01-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Add me to list of Bloglines users - wasn't sure if that should be counted as reading RSS feeds our not, since I'm not using a dedicated RSS reader, but it is giving me the feeds.

When mobile I really prefer the entire text to be posted, since I'm not running any multiple window software in IE and it's more work to get back to the various feeds that have previously been displayed after jumping to a specific site to read the entire article.

phillypocket
01-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Actually I do about 75% of my internet reading through an RSS feed. And nothing will get me to swear of a site quicker than providing an RSS feed with teaser text only. Out of the 160 or so feeds I monitor regularly, Yours in one of the few (that I can probably count on one hand) that I'm willing to accept partial feeds. Almost all others get immediately deleted...And I don't return to the web site.

Although admittedly it's not as bad as a partial webcast. PBS & G4, I'm looking squarely at you.

dochall
01-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Rss has totally replaced avantgo on my ipaq.

The lack of full text can be an issue some feeds are good and are worth reading and at the end of the scale the single line (often taken up by vague descriptions of multi-subject articles - yes I'm looking at you Guardian Unlimited film).

The problem with RSS feeds is the organisation which i find a pain. Getting the right feeds and a decent description can be faff. What I need is directory by subject matter that includes some indication of the completeness of the feed.

Whenever I use RSS however I still feel a slight pang for Pointcast which I think was before it's time as far as access is concerned.

Anybody got a suggestions for techie worthwhile feeds?

Clinton Fitch
01-20-2006, 08:52 PM
RSS for me is crack. I love it, addicted to it and get the shakes when I don't get it...

I've been using NewsBreak since it came out, even before I had a wifi/Bt enabled device and love it. Now that it is on my Smartphone as well, I can get my crack fix anytime, anywhere....

8O

KTamas
01-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, sort of, I'm planning to re-install PocketRSS to my device since a while and will do it eventually. My only problem is with partial RSS feeds.... I would really like to read the entire PPCT article in RSS :roll:

msprague
01-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Yes, on device via bloglines with wifi. I tried using software to download feeds directly to the device, but it never worked out well since I primarily use my desktop for reading feeds, and occasionally the Pocket PC. With bloglines it works out great. Full article feeds only please.

Swordsman74
01-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I know this is sounds odd but I have a compulsion to not miss out on updates, yet my PDA is not a "connected" device. I just don't have the $$ to have a cellular data account and my work does not allow wifi.

So, I use www.rssfwd.com to send all of the feeds I want to my Gmail account. So far I have 34 feeds, but I have more lined up. Gmail is almost never "down", whereas I might be offline for a day or so at a time. Having an RSS reader on my PDA that only downloads new feeds when I sit at my PC and connect to it just isn't feasible for me. With RSSFwd sending updates each hour, I have all of the feeds waiting for me whenever I log into Gmail. I had really hoped Google would have made their reader better, or implemented a service like RSSFwd that brought these feeds to Gmail. That "web clips" feature in Gmail is absolutely useless to me.

SteveHoward999
01-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Nope. Tried it on PC and got bored. I'm happy going to the web pages I like when I choose using PC or PDA - both have Wi-Fi so either works for me when I need it.

galt
01-21-2006, 01:07 AM
I'm a fairly recent convert to RSS (about 1 yr?), but using Newsbreak on my PPC Phone (i-mate JasJar) is heaven... I used to compulsively check and recheck my favorite sites for new content, but now with RSS I just hit one refresh button and the new content is quickly delivered to me. Teaser text feeds are really annoying, I really only tolerate them on my general news feeds (Google News/CNN) because 80% of the content doesn't interest me.

I'm kind of surprised that there's such a casual (or negative) attitude towards RSS from many of the posters on a tech site like this. I think RSS is actually a nearly perfect implementation of the upcoming "mobile web" we keep hearing about - it's on-demand and light on bandwidth, perfect for our mobile devices. RSS has dramatically changed the way I consume online content and I can't imagine anyone who's into the web feeling dismissive about RSS delivery.

mcsouth
01-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Rss has totally replaced avantgo on my ipaq.

This is about where I am at.....I used to use Avantgo for years, but their service has been going downhill for some time now, IMO, and I have had random syncing problems ever since they went to their own dedicated viewer app. I finally deleted Avantgo off my PPC a few weeks back, but haven't gotten around to doing anything to replace it.

Since my unit (iPaq 1945) doesn't have wi-fi, I can't just surf at various hotspots as I encounter them, so I need to do something. Under the circumstances, I agree with others that I would totally not bother subscribing to a feed that doesn't include all text - most of the sites I read on a regular basis all deal with news bites anyways, so I would hope that their RSS feed would have complete text. In my case, I would sync my PPC in the morning, grabbing all of the latest info at that time, and then browse through the info during my morning coffee break, or even over lunch. I realize that this sort of is not within the intended scope of RSS feeds, but for me, it would act as a suitable replacement for Avantgo.

Darius Wey
01-21-2006, 03:55 AM
I used to be a mobile subscriber, but not anymore. Keeping track of hundreds of feeds on a tiny screen just doesn't do it for me. I'll use my notebook to filter through it all instead.

AKAJohnDoe
01-21-2006, 08:17 AM
I replied in the other RSS thread.

Theo
01-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Bugs me when the RSS feeds don't include the whole message - I hate having to revisit it at a later date (when online) to read the full thing.

Darius Wey
01-22-2006, 03:20 AM
Bugs me when the RSS feeds don't include the whole message - I hate having to revisit it at a later date (when online) to read the full thing.

If you subscribe on your computer, you can use an RSS reader which bypasses the whole partial/full-text rule. Thunderbird is an example. It'll load the full post, regardless of the rule set in the feed.