View Full Version : How to remove water under touchscreen?

olleh
01-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Help! My Pocket PC is soaked in water when I put it in a non-waterproof bag and travelled in a rainy day.

My Pocket PC screen is half soaked in water now. I could still power on the screen and see all the details, but the touchscreen feature no longer works!

I tried to remove the casing and then the LCD screen, but the front touchscreen is adhered to the LCD screen.

My Pocket PC is Toshiba e310, and warranty already expires long ago. What can I do to remove the water between the touchscreen and the LCD screen?

Please help, thanks~

hamishmacdonald
01-20-2006, 12:08 PM
I had a situation like this a few years ago with a watch that was fogged up. I sealed it in a bag with some sea-salt, which eventually leached out the water.

One of those "Do Not Eat!" bags of silica gel would work well, too.

That may get rid of the water. I'm not sure if the touchscreen functionality will come back.

delfuhd
01-20-2006, 01:57 PM
This happened with my 2215 about a year back or so. I was cleaning the touchscreen with windex and put too much on the screen, and when i moved the windex around wiwth a cloth it basically got stuck uinder the bottom part of the screen, and the touch screen stopped working. I stripped out the battery, stylus, and memory cards and put it in a dry place with two fans blowing constantly into the memory card slots and basically any where where air could get inside the pocket pc. It happened on a friday, and with fans blowing constantly, by monday the windex was completely dried up, and my touchscreen worked again!

You can try that, and also the bag of sea salt would work as well. I have a friend who owns an e740 and it got water in it, so he did the exact same thing of sealing it in a baggy of sea salt.

good luck!

Constant Caffeine
01-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Since your device is out of warranty, you could remove the back cover. Removing the back cover plate will get you more direct access. If you are married, your wife should have some Q-tip like devices, which have sponges rather than a cotton swab on them. I would absorb as much as I could and then place it near, not on, but near your furnace vent. It may take a day or more, but it should help dry out the water. Best of luck.

Malave53
01-20-2006, 11:47 PM
I've gotten water in my old PPC before and within 6 hours the screen did not function....