View Full Version : Ipaq 2490 with Mobile 5.0 and microsoft reader activation

jessie
01-19-2006, 10:48 PM
Hi - I've just bought an Ipaq 2490 (Mobile 5.0) and installed Microsoft Reader. When I try to activate MReader I keep getting the error message 'You have an older version of Pocket PC which does not support activation. Activation requires Pocket PC 2002 or later.'

I've installed and uninstalled both Reader and Active Sync, soft reset, hard reset etc etc - all I've gained is a bad temper.

I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and can suggest a solution since the helpful gent at Microsoft support in India I've just spent an hour talking to hasn't yet been able to solve it - he's hopeful though and going to carry on trying - bless him.
Jessie

Nurhisham Hussein
01-20-2006, 01:11 AM
You should've posted this in the e-book section, there's quite a few posts on this problem. :) Try going through these threads to see if there any hints on a solution:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44561

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44562

HTH

dldecret
01-24-2006, 05:25 AM
i have a new treo 700w with VZ and same issue with microsoft reader. no solution yet ...tried it all!!

jag
01-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Hi:

What worked for me after trying everything, is that I contacted Christine from the Microsoft Reader Team, who sent me a small file via email (which I don't remember the name), but you place it in the /windows directory, and then there are no problems with the activation.

Brad Adrian
01-25-2006, 11:37 PM
...you place it in the /windows directory, and then there are no problems with the activation.

Wow! I'd LOVE to know what that little file is/does! I've become so fed up with that whole activation mess that I now longer even try to use it!

jag
01-28-2006, 03:24 AM
Hello:

Did a little brain exercise to remember the situation.
The error that I got was:

"You have an older version of Pocket PC which does not support Activation. Activation requires Pocket PC 2002 or later."

After trying everything that was suggested in various forums, Christine from Microsoft Reader Team posted that it was found a file was missing, and if you emailed her requesting it, she would send it. So I did it, and finally have got it working since then.
The file that was sent to me was OEMInfo.xml file, but I don't know what it does. :?: