View Full Version : Active Sync Question

russmd
01-18-2006, 07:42 PM
How long does the typical USB cable active sync take? I'm syncing just the Outlook stuff, nothing fancy. When I connect, it opens Active Sync immediately, gyrates for about 2 minutes "looking for changes", then the sync check marks come up. What's it doing for those first few minutes? Is that normal?
Thanks,
Russ

Nurhisham Hussein
01-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Which version of Activesync and Outlook are you using? I've found it varies a great deal depending on what I'm syncing. On my home PC, I sync a lot of stuff - Stock Manager, Cash Organizer, PhatNotes and Phatpad, along with the usual PIM and email. On my laptop, it's just PIM information. There's an obvious difference in the time to sync. When I'm syncing through wifi, it takes a lot longer as well.

Have you tried actually looking at what's being synced? Double click on the AS icon when it's spinning, the AS window shows what's being synced and the progress.

russmd
01-19-2006, 04:30 AM
I'm using AS 4.1.0 and Outlook 2002 that came with the 700w. All I'm syncing are outlook contacts, calendar, tasks, notes. For the first 2 minutes, it spins and says "looking for changes." Then it starts syncing the listed items, check marks appearing quite quickly. What's taking so long "looking for changes?" Is it doing anything else at that time?

Nurhisham Hussein
01-19-2006, 05:23 AM
AS 4.x and AS 3.x connect quite differently. IIANM, AS3.x formed a pseudo-network connection, while in AS4.x it's the real thing, with assigned IPs and all. That's probably why it takes longer to connect - you're not alone in your experience. I've found AS3.x does the same thing with wifi sync - as it depends on a full network connection, AS has to bridge that with it's own pseudo network. Sheer speculation on my part, I'm afraid, but it feels right if you know what I mean.