View Full Version : 5450 - Battery is always empty

pekka
01-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi together!

I have a real problem and I hope that you can help me :roll: . The battery of my iPAQ 5450 (running WM 2003) is always empty. This means - I charge the 5450 and after 1-2 hours the battery is empty (while the 5450 is turned off)

There's no other software installed. WiFi is turned off. Everything is turned off :cry: . I also bought a new battery but that didn't help ...

Is this a known problem? Can someone tell me what to do?

Thanks in advance!

Pekka

MPSmith
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Did you hard reset it?

pocketpcadmirer
01-18-2006, 06:13 PM
The battery of my iPAQ 5450 (running WM 2003) is always empty. This means - I charge the 5450 and after 1-2 hours the battery is empty

I surmise that you are having the iPAQ from 3+ years. Your iPAQ uses a lithium ion battery, which has a life cycle of around 2-3 years(if used in proper manner). When a litium ion battery gets 2-3 years old, it starts to lose its charge pretty fast. So, I think the time has come to replace the battery.

Sunny

Constant Caffeine
01-18-2006, 09:13 PM
When a litium ion battery gets 2-3 years old, it starts to lose its charge pretty fast. So, I think the time has come to replace the battery.

I would have to agree with pocketpcadmirer. One last thing you could try is, use an eraser over the contacts on the battery. If you have taken the battery out a lot it may have become dirty. It is a long shot, but I have seen it work in the past.

MPSmith
01-19-2006, 12:50 AM
The battery of my iPAQ 5450 (running WM 2003) is always empty. This means - I charge the 5450 and after 1-2 hours the battery is empty

I surmise that you are having the iPAQ from 3+ years. Your iPAQ uses a lithium ion battery, which has a life cycle of around 2-3 years(if used in proper manner). When a litium ion battery gets 2-3 years old, it starts to lose its charge pretty fast. So, I think the time has come to replace the battery.

Sunny

Great theory, except he said he replaced the battery - lol

pekka
01-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Hey you guys!

Thanks for your responses 8) . Yepp, I already replaced the battery and the iPAQ did a hard reset any time it run out of charge (roundabout 40-60 times, ummm).

It could be that the replacement battery (from ebay) is crap - but I think that it could be a hardware issue of my iPAQ because the charge shrinks very fast - and it doesn't matter if it's the old or the new battery. It shrinks with the same speed (1 percent / minute) - already when the device is turned off. I tried it with and without jacket, sd-card, cf-card, gps,... always the same.

But I also saw that I never see the green light which indicates that the battery charge has completed. So ... do you guys know where the charge electronic is placed ... think I should try to replace this thingy?!

Thanks for all of your responses!

Pekka

pocketpcadmirer
01-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Since you have said that you bought the battery off ebay,so may be the battery is defective. Try or borrow a new battery and then give it a try.

Otherwise, it can be hardware issue too. So, you may contact HP for repairing it

Sunny

pekka
01-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks for your answer :)

I also thought about a defective battery. Unfortunately there's no chance for me to borrow one.

Since I tried to avoid further investments for a new battery (without knowing if this is the root cause) I hoped to get some information if some HW issues are known (in order to isolate the problem).

But as I understand you right now there's no HW issue known which can be the root cause?

It's curious that both batteries lose the same percantage of charge in the same time :?: :!: (thought that this indicates not a battery problem).

Since I have no warranty for this 'old' iPAQ there's no chance to get a repairing with fair conditions ... think I have to send it to ... Mars :roll:

Thanks for all of your replies. If someone has another idea ... feel free to post it :wink:

Greetz,

Pekka

cbsnoop
02-25-2006, 05:36 PM
The switch at the bottom of your PPC could be damage. I had a similar problem and the battery would not take the charge. I had mine fixed at PDA smart.com. They replaceed the whitch and it only cost $60 plus $ 8 for shipping.