View Full Version : Telus UTS 6700 has a unique software. Use it as WiFi card?

Cybrid
01-16-2006, 11:58 PM
The Telus UTStarcomm 6700 has a software in it that says "USB modem".
This software's confusing instructions make me wonder.
It seems to claim to be able to use the wireless as a modem over USB, IrDA, BT.

Anyone have this and experimented with it at all?

Is this software telus only or on all 6700's?

Mitch D
01-18-2006, 12:27 AM
I don't have an answer to your quesion but I do have a question for you. I am thinking of buying the 6700 myself but one thing it hinges on is if Telus disabled the WiFi the way they did in the 6600. Can you tell me if the standard wifi is enabled in this device of not?

pelermon
01-18-2006, 01:14 AM
enabled

pgm
01-18-2006, 01:45 AM
was 'fondling' 1 from Vancouver last Sunday at our meet, that was from telus and the wifi was enabled:)

a very sweet device indeed :mrgreen:

Mitch D
01-18-2006, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the info all

Cybrid
01-18-2006, 05:09 AM
I don't have an answer to your quesion but I do have a question for you. I am thinking of buying the 6700 myself but one thing it hinges on is if Telus disabled the WiFi the way they did in the 6600. Can you tell me if the standard wifi is enabled in this device of not?Yes. Enabled and fully functioning. It doesn't affect phone function.

Some cons:
32Mb free RAM after WM5 loads. BT obex, DUN, everthing but basic headset connections are disabled. No suprise there as Verizon owns Telus.
Camera flash is weak, sound from onboard speakers is weak.

Pros: everything else! The thing is the best phone out here in Canada's years behind market.

Mitch D
01-18-2006, 05:16 AM
No suprise there as Verizon owns Telus.

And your basing this comment on what information?

Cybrid
01-18-2006, 05:36 AM

May 18, 2001
TELUS' largest shareholder to enrol in dividend reinvestment plan

Burnaby, B.C. - TELUS Corporation (TSE: T and T.A / NYSE: TU) announced today that Verizon Communications Inc. has informed TELUS that Verizon intends to reinvest any dividends it receives from its TELUS shares as part of TELUS' new dividend reinvestment plan.

Under TELUS' recently amended dividend reinvestment plan, shareholders may reinvest dividends in TELUS Non-Voting shares at a five per cent discount from the average market price, effective with the July 1 dividend and any subsequent dividend declared by the TELUS board of directors.

Verizon currently owns approximately 47.4 million TELUS Voting shares and 15.8 million TELUS Non-Voting shares. Verizons investment in TELUS represents approximately 22 per cent of the total combined share ownership in TELUS, making Verizon TELUS' largest shareholder. Verizons dividend reinvestment will be approximately $22 million on July 1.
(http://about.telus.com/cgi-bin/news_viewer.cgi?mode=2&news_id=237)

What is the importance of TELUS' relationship with Verizon?
Formed by the merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE, Verizon is one of the world's leading providers of communications services, with 2004 revenues of $71 billion, over 43 million wireless customers and 145 million access line equivalents. Verizon and TELUS share a business arrangement through a software and related technology agreement. This agreement gives TELUS and its affiliates certain rights to purchase exclusive licences of Verizon software and other technology, trademarks and service marks as specified by TELUS, and to use exclusively the remaining Verizon software and other technology, trademarks and service marks. (http://about.telus.com/investors/faq.html#13)

Although that might not be the case any longer. I hadn't been keeping up I guess. November 30, 2004
Verizon to sell its 73.5 million TELUS shares. (http://about.telus.com/cgi-bin/news_viewer.cgi?mode=2&news_id=532)

Mitch D
01-18-2006, 05:47 AM

May 18, 2001
TELUS' largest shareholder to enrol in dividend reinvestment plan

Burnaby, B.C. - TELUS Corporation (TSE: T and T.A / NYSE: TU) announced today that Verizon Communications Inc. has informed TELUS that Verizon intends to reinvest any dividends it receives from its TELUS shares as part of TELUS' new dividend reinvestment plan.

Under TELUS' recently amended dividend reinvestment plan, shareholders may reinvest dividends in TELUS Non-Voting shares at a five per cent discount from the average market price, effective with the July 1 dividend and any subsequent dividend declared by the TELUS board of directors.

Verizon currently owns approximately 47.4 million TELUS Voting shares and 15.8 million TELUS Non-Voting shares. Verizons investment in TELUS represents approximately 22 per cent of the total combined share ownership in TELUS, making Verizon TELUS' largest shareholder. Verizons dividend reinvestment will be approximately $22 million on July 1.
(http://about.telus.com/cgi-bin/news_viewer.cgi?mode=2&news_id=237)

What is the importance of TELUS' relationship with Verizon?
Formed by the merger of Bell Atlantic and GTE, Verizon is one of the world's leading providers of communications services, with 2004 revenues of $71 billion, over 43 million wireless customers and 145 million access line equivalents. Verizon and TELUS share a business arrangement through a software and related technology agreement. This agreement gives TELUS and its affiliates certain rights to purchase exclusive licences of Verizon software and other technology, trademarks and service marks as specified by TELUS, and to use exclusively the remaining Verizon software and other technology, trademarks and service marks. (http://about.telus.com/investors/faq.html#13)

Although that might not be the case any longer. I hadn't been keeping up I guess. November 30, 2004
Verizon to sell its 73.5 million TELUS shares. (http://about.telus.com/cgi-bin/news_viewer.cgi?mode=2&news_id=532)

Hmmm learn something new everyday, thanks for the headsup Cybrid. I knew nothing about this "purchase" of shares. Although I would not call 22% "owning" Telus, but it would explain a few things about Telus's business practices though.

Cybrid
01-18-2006, 06:09 AM
Hmmm learn something new everyday, thanks for the headsup Cybrid. I knew nothing about this "purchase" of shares. Although I would not call 22% "owning" Telus, but it would explain a few things about Telus's business practices though. 22% as a largest controlling share means Telus is their BIACH. They say jump and Telus says "Yes, daddy!"
Define another explanation for own or pwnz.

warptime
01-19-2006, 09:58 PM
The Telus UTStarcomm 6700 has a software in it that says "USB modem".
This software's confusing instructions make me wonder.
It seems to claim to be able to use the wireless as a modem over USB, IrDA, BT.

Anyone have this and experimented with it at all?

Is this software telus only or on all 6700's?

Cybrid,

I have a Sprint 6700 in the US and I believe it is present as well, but under a different name: Wireless Modem. I just tried it last night and it allows you to use the 6700 as a wireless modem to a Windows laptop. The CD that came with the 6700 had a couple files on it, an exe and inf file. both need to end up on the laptop. The instructions are pretty poorly written, but I managed to struggle through it. I am short on time right now, you might look on the forum at http://www.ppc6700users.com or ? pdaphonehome.com ? as they have some instructional posts about it. My laptop indicated 214kbps throughput (not sure if I am using the right indicator...) I will try and post some links tonight from home where I have some of the shortcuts saved.

It does indicate it will work via USB, IrdA, or BT. The BT install on my laptop is hosed, but the USB cable worked great.

Warptime
PPC-6700