View Full Version : Changing The Scrolling Behavior In Pocket IE on Windows Mobile 5

Ed Hansberry
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
For those of you that have a new Windows Mobile 5 device or OS upgrade, you may have noticed something, erm... irritating in how Pocket Internet Explorer now scrolls. If I understand it correctly, on a Smartphone, when you press up/down on the dpad, the cursor would move up/down to the next link, not page up/page down. However, you could press some keys on the keypad that would give you full screen up/down movement. Well, in an attempt to make the Pocket PC less dependant on the stylus and work more like its baby brother the Smartphone OS, WM5 for the Pocket PC also moves up/down one link at a time when you press up/down on the dpad, something that can be brutally painful on a site like Pocket PC Thoughts in the forums where each post has 7-8 links plus whatever is in the post itself, and even on those devices with keyboards, it doesn't seem there is a full page up/down workaround.<br /><br />Until now. :) Simply whip out the registry editor of your choice<span>(1)</span> and see which of the below hacks works for you.<br /><br />• Under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ add a key called "KeyMaps". Then add a new DWORD value called "48" with a value of 1, and another DWORD called "49" with a value of 2. Close IE by using a task killer, CTRL-Q on the keyboard or in the memory control panel icon in system settings. If you're lucky, the numbers 1 &amp; 0 on the keypad should be mapped to Page-Up and Page-Down.<br />• If that fails, try this as long as your device has a hardware "Tab" key. Navigate to \HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Navigation\4-Way Nav and set that to 0. Now, your d-pad should page/up and down, and you can use Tab and Shift+Tab to navigate from link to link. Again, you may need to kill and relaunch Pocket IE. Whatever you do, don't immediately soft reset. Registry entires aren't flushed to ROM immediately so doing a quick soft reset may undo your changes.<br /><br />Unfortunately, this won't help much if your device lacks a keyboard, like the Dell Axim X51v. Note: As of yet, I have not tried either of these, and these are apparently undocumented, so there may be other consequences to doing this. After setting one of these keys, I would launch key apps, like the phone, and make sure things like 0 and 1 still actually dial, or that Tab works correctly in other apps.<br /><br /><span>(1)Standard registry editing disclaimers apply. Edit the registry at your own risk. You can render your device unbootable and require a hard reset. You may be inadvertently be contributing to global warming when making these changes. Even worse, you could unknowingly tap into the computer systems at CTU, and that means <a href="http://www.fox.com/24/">Jack Bauer</a> may come after you. Void where prohibited, and in Vermont. Children under 18 should get their parent's permission before editing the registry.</span>

OSUKid7
01-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Even worse, you could unknowingly tap into the computer systems at CTU, and that means Jack Bauer (http://www.fox.com/24/) may come after you.
tick. tick. tick. 8) Anyone like the IP address they gave in the second hour last night? 292.162.12.2 :lol: Details people... :|

Alright, OT, but 24 just rocks. :mrgreen:

Paragon
01-16-2006, 11:20 PM
For those under 18, or fear backlash from Jack Bauer, Tweaks 2k2 has this feature builtin. It's call smooth scrolling, in you are looking for it. :)

Dave

alese
01-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Navigate to \HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Navigation\4-Way Nav and set that to 0. Now, your d-pad should page/up and down

I can't speak about other hacks, but the one above I used in my Universal and it works fine for having page UP/Down instead of navigating through links. I would really like to find out what to do to get scrolling by line instead of page, but until then this will do...

IpaqMan2
01-17-2006, 12:09 AM
For those under 18, or fear backlash from Jack Bauer, Tweaks 2k2 has this feature builtin. It's call smooth scrolling, in you are looking for it. :)

Dave

Ya I was going to say the same thing about Tweak 2k2. This registry hack has been around for awhile over at PDAPhones.com in the PPC-6700. In fact on my blog I wrote my thoughts on this issue and would love to see a developer write a small program when PIE is used that would give the same scrolling functions as found on the Treo's that do both. page scrolling and links ( sorry for any typos on the go with my PPC-6700)

Jon Westfall
01-17-2006, 04:00 AM
Even worse, you could unknowingly tap into the computer systems at CTU, and that means Jack Bauer (http://www.fox.com/24/) may come after you.
tick. tick. tick. 8) Anyone like the IP address they gave in the second hour last night? 292.162.12.2 :lol: Details people... :|

Alright, OT, but 24 just rocks. :mrgreen:

I'd guess that they did that to ensure that people don't start pinging the ever-loving **** out of a legitimate IP. Same reason all phone numbers in (most) media start with 555...

I would have hated to wake up this morning with that IP and millions of script kiddies at my door.

OSUKid7
01-17-2006, 04:04 AM
I'd guess that they did that to ensure that people don't start pinging the ever-loving **** out of a legitimate IP. Same reason all phone numbers in (most) media start with 555...

I would have hated to wake up this morning with that IP and millions of script kiddies at my door.
True, but there are enough ways to stop DoS attacks like that. Speaking of phone numbers, they menioned at least one real phone number in season 4. It became the fan hotline. I was hoping the IP would be similar, maybe with a secret 24 website hosted on it, or even an IRC network for fans.

But hey, I don't run Fox. ;)

Mark Johnson
01-17-2006, 04:24 AM
This may be semi-off-topic, but I'll ask anyway.

With javascript on IE you can detect any keystroke and use that to trigger an event. I use this all the time with a custom "homepage" on my notebook that shows maybe a dozen c=www.cnn.com or m=www.msnbc.com options so I only have to press one key to get to many of my favorites.

I've been trying to figure out how to do the equivalent on my PPC. It really annoying how "tap-oriented" the PPC is, and PIE has that problem in particular. What I want is to set my default "homepage" for PIE to a page with at least 4 "keystroke" options (corresponding to the four d-pad "arrow" keystrokes.) To my great dismay, PIE can't seem to capture an "arrow" from the d-pad using javascript. Has anyone seen a way to fix this with a registry hack?

Another way of explaining what I want to do it to imagine HTML "flashcards" where foo.htm is the question page that has a javascript which will detect a "d-pad down arrow" and then bring up the bar.htm answer page. Or an HTML reference manual where each chapter is one page that you still scroll up/down normally, but a right/left d-pad would jump to previous/next chapterXpage.htm etc.

This seems like a really easy way to refer to basic information where you know can divide it into single "page fulls" or less and always have each "idea" at the top of the next page. I'd really like to do this for speaking notes where using one hand on the d-pad would be natural, but trying to tap with a stylus during a presentation from a podium would be a pain.

dma1965
01-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I had used Tweaks2k to change to the smooth scrolling, but I went back to the old way of jumping through links, because I like the fact that I really do not need my stylus to surf the web that way. When I had Pocket PC's before getting my Wizard, I always used the smooth scrolling, and always used a stylus (especially with Multiie, which had that really nifty screen drag feature). Since getting a Windows Mobile 5 device, I have taken advantage of the changes made to the OS that allow you to do just about everything without a stylus. I even used Double Launcher to remap a single press of the Messaging button to open the start menu, and a single press of the IE button to perform a close, and a Press and Hold of the camera button to perform a minimize. Along with Pocket Plus on the screen, which allows me to launch my applications without a stylus as well, I hardly ever need to use my stylus at all, and I have to say I really like it that way (especially since the Wizard stylus just SUCKS!!!). :lol:

Menneisyys
01-17-2006, 09:01 AM
If you don't have a registry editor: any WM5-compliant one will do in this case. (You may also want to check out their roundup at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/menneisyys/UltimateRoundupOfRegistryEditors.asp ).

ctitanic
01-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Tweaks2k2 uses the second registry hack described here and it works in all devices.
I never have tested the first one but it should work in all devices with keyboards. But having applied the second one the first hack I think that is not needed at all and it's a little bit more complicated compared with the second hack ;)

ctitanic
01-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Registry entires aren't flushed to ROM immediately so doing a quick soft reset may undo your changes.

If you use a program to do the soft reset you should not have this problem. Another thing that can be done is to change the registry format to file.

http://www.tweaks2k2.com/portal/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=8&amp;showtopic=175

(1)Standard registry editing disclaimers apply. Edit the registry at your own risk. You can render your device unbootable and require a hard reset. You may be inadvertently be contributing to global warming when making these changes. Even worse, you could unknowingly tap into the computer systems at CTU, and that means Jack Bauer (http://www.fox.com/24/) may come after you. Void where prohibited, and in Vermont. Children under 18 should get their parent's permission before editing the registry.

If after reading these words you are afraid to edit the registry you better use Tweaks2k2 or any other "tweaker" in the market. ;) :D

kf6krc
01-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Hello, I tried this hack on my x51v and it works fine.
I no longer have to go through all of the hyper links just page to page. :mrgreen:

Thanks to who ever figured this out!!! 0X

Scott R
01-18-2006, 03:26 AM
In fact on my blog I wrote my thoughts on this issue and would love to see a developer write a small program when PIE is used that would give the same scrolling functions as found on the Treo's that do both. page scrolling and links ( sorry for any typos on the go with my PPC-6700)So that's not what this hack does? On the PPC-6700 I tried out for two weeks, up/down on the D-Pad would go link by link and so would left/right (if memory serves). So in reading this story here I was thinking that this registry hack would cause up/down to cause a page up/down, but right/left would still navigate through links. Is that not correct?