View Full Version : sync to multple exchange servers?

cdavis
01-16-2006, 03:36 AM
Hello,

Are you able to sync your device to more than one exchange server?

I have two exchange servers I use..I want to be able to sync my device with each? If I have one exchange server set up in activesync, how would I set up another?

Thanks!

Jon Westfall
01-16-2006, 06:06 AM
Well, the only way I think you could do this would be to change the exchange server in Activesync before each sync. However, you'll be asked if you want to replace the items on your device or copy them to the exchange server. I suppose you could do this, but it probably will be a major pain of duplicated contacts and items, etc...

Short answer: Probably won't work easily without third-party solutions, if they are available.

cdavis
01-16-2006, 06:21 AM
yeah, thats what i have found. I am also unable to change the exchange server..i have to actually delete the current one and re-add a new one..

Anyone know of any 3rd party apps that will do this?

Jason Dunn
01-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Right now, I know of no way to do what you want. Heck, even Outlook 2003 on the DESKTOP doesn't make this easy. There's just no way to sync against more than one Exchange server. :(

I'll admit though that the number of people that need to sync against more than one Exchange server is a very small number - what's your scenario exactly? I'd like to gather some anecdotal information to share with the Microoft folks.

cdavis
01-17-2006, 12:26 AM
I use 4smartphone for my main exchange server to sync contacts, etc. I am trying to be able to also use another exchange server to grab my email at my employers. You can only get the email through activesync. No pop, imap, or owa access. So I'd like to be able to grab work email and also still use 4smartphone.

I guess its a rare situation ;)

Also wish when getting email through exchange I could change the from field and have it sent through a normal pop email from pocket outlook. I have a few different addressed forwarded to my 4smartphone account.

Jason Dunn
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
I use 4smartphone for my main exchange server to sync contacts, etc. I am trying to be able to also use another exchange server to grab my email at my employers. You can only get the email through activesync. No pop, imap, or owa access. So I'd like to be able to grab work email and also still use 4smartphone. I guess its a rare situation ;)

Interesting - that's what I thought your scenario was. The truth is, while Microsof touts the power of Exchange, they somehow don't think that anyone would need more than one Exchange account, and you've shown a situation where that's not the case, and your scenario is very reasonable.

Also wish when getting email through exchange I could change the from field and have it sent through a normal pop email from pocket outlook. I have a few different addressed forwarded to my 4smartphone account.

Yes, I share that frustration. I do know though, that the support department at 4smartphone has the ability to change the reply-to email address to something other than your default 4smartphone email account. So you can pick something more "general" if that helps at all.

cdavis
01-17-2006, 12:21 PM
...another though on this subject. Can WebIS mail be used as a replacement for pocket outlook in this case? I am not a big fan of the lack of filters, etc in pocket outlook. So I guess the question is, can you use webis mail and still have activesync sync your folders?

alex_kac
01-17-2006, 08:35 PM
You can have WebIS Mail with Exchange ActiveSync, though that is not its primary purpose so you don't gain much from it.

Now with WebIS Mail you can have say Exchange ActiveSync grabbing email from one place and Mail grabbing email through IMAP4 to other accounts.

I am not sure if that answers your question...but if not, just ask away.