View Full Version : GPS Help Requested (hardware and software)

Dent
01-14-2006, 06:59 PM
I am slowly closing in on my purchasing decisions, and this is what I am down to:

Most likely purchasing from Xpansys:
E-Ten M600
Largest SD card I can get (4GB?)
GlobalSat BT338 SIRF Star III Bluetooth GPS

Now I just need to figure out the GPS software package I need to cover Europe (based out of Frankfurt). Some driving but also a lot of biking / walking. For off-road probably have to go with a raster map type option, but of the commercial GPS packages (man they are expensive) I need some input.

- TomTom does not list the E-Ten M600 as specifically supported but it does support WM 5.0? I’ve emailed the company to ask but wanted to know if anyone here has any info on this? Should I be concerned?
- Co-Pilot seems to have good support for walk mode and a lot of Points of Interest in their package but it's pricey.
- Destinator doesn’t seem to support WM 5.0 so that’s out as an option.
Anyone that has used either of these packages in Europe have any comments or user experiences, good or bad?

Any input, either on specs or hardware or usability greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dent

PS - Need WiFi which is why I like the E-Ten M600 and don't really want to wait for the E-Ten G500.

Dent
01-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Just an update for anyone that might be interested.

Responses to my inquiries to the companies:

- TomTom: the E-TEN M600 does not appear in their list of supported devices, and therefore they do not rate it as safe to use with TomTom software.
- Copilot 6: is compatible with the E-TEN m600.