View Full Version : MS Voice Commander for the 700w

possmann
01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
does anyone know if this will work on the WM5 platform? Does anyone have this installed on their treo yet? I'm thinking of plunking down the cash and getting this - I love my new treo (it's still shiny).

globaloffice
01-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Possman, it comes installed on the Treo 700

-Roger

possmann
01-13-2006, 12:34 AM
holy crap! I love this phone!

futbolman
01-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Voice command crashes everytime I try to run it :cry: (error: Voice cmd has encontered a problem. Restart). Is anyone else out there having problems with this app?

Darius Wey
01-13-2006, 04:16 AM
Voice command crashes everytime I try to run it :cry: (error: Voice cmd has encontered a problem. Restart). Is anyone else out there having problems with this app?

Try soft-resetting and seeing if you get the same error message. I suspect a memory shortage, but it could also be a conflict with another service.

futbolman
01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks Darius, I already tried that all to no avail. I'll contact Palm tech support later today and test their usefulness.

possmann
01-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Please let us know how that goes - I enabled it, but have yet to read how to work with it - went out last night so (ahem) it wasn't on the priority list of things to do - but I'll play with it today and get back to this post to see if I get any issues...

globaloffice
01-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Thanks Darius, I already tried that all to no avail. I'll contact Palm tech support later today and test their usefulness.

Find something to do for the 45 minutes you'll be on hold :-( That was my experience. You'll start with a message to call Verizon support, so you may have better luck there first.

-R

futbolman
01-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Gave up on trying to get hold of Palm support and ended up performing a hard reset (which I was trying to avoid). The hard reset did resolve the problem however so it must have been one of the many 'compatible' 3rd party apps I had installed. By the way, here's a list of what I have running on my device that so far are not causing any conflicts:

Agenda Fusion
HanDbase
eWallet
memMaid
Lexionary
Calc-1

Anyone know of any cool games that work on this device? So far I haven't had much luck and believe it might have been OmegaOne's BlackJack (which is supposed to be compatible) that was causing problems, aside from the fact that I could not get it to run.

possmann
01-13-2006, 07:57 PM
well I can't get the thing to work - it sometimes speaks the calendar appointments to me - so it's following that, but as far as anything else - I'm talking to it and it's not doing anything.

Does anyone have the link to the user manual for this app?

globaloffice
01-13-2006, 10:29 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/voicecommand/default.mspx

Good place to start, bunch of demos.

-R

possmann
01-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Well I sorta got it working - a bit...

I'm still fooling around with the microphone input volume - finding that if it is too high it brings in too much background noise. Any recommendations for setting the input? It really is not doing well recognizing my voice - hit or miss so far...

Darius Wey
01-14-2006, 05:31 AM
well I can't get the thing to work - it sometimes speaks the calendar appointments to me - so it's following that, but as far as anything else - I'm talking to it and it's not doing anything.

I've heard this is a Voice Command + Windows Mobile 5.0 bug. I've had it happen to me before, plus many others that I know.

Does anyone have the link to the user manual for this app?

There should be a guide in your Pocket PC's help files. Try Start > Help > Contents > Help for Added Programs > Voice Command. If it's not listed there, try Start > Help > Contents > *****. Palm might have embedded the Voice Command help files within the OS help files.

Alternatively, check out this neat guide that ebadger posted: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45636

Darius Wey
01-14-2006, 05:33 AM
I'm still fooling around with the microphone input volume - finding that if it is too high it brings in too much background noise. Any recommendations for setting the input? It really is not doing well recognizing my voice - hit or miss so far...

The general suggestion is 2/3 of max volume, and turn off any sort of automatic gain control.