View Full Version : How backward-compatible is WM 5?

rodrigo_braz
01-12-2006, 01:13 AM
I see lots of software saying they run on Windows Mobile 2003. Does that mean they will run on WM 5, at least in principle?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Darius Wey
01-12-2006, 05:07 AM
I see lots of software saying they run on Windows Mobile 2003. Does that mean they will run on WM 5, at least in principle?

In principle, they should work. If it hasn't been optimised for WM5, you might notice some odd behaviour and/or a slightly messed-up UI. In extreme cases, however, it might not work and can cause system instability. It totally depends on the application in question.

http://www.wm5fixsite.com/ is worth visiting, although the list on that site isn't updated 24/7. If you want a definite answer on a particular application's compatibility with WM5, you should always check the developer's web site. Most major third-party applications have already been updated to support WM5. Some of the smaller ones haven't.

pocketpcadmirer
01-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Yes as Darius said, most of the apps designed for win mobile 2033 or SE should work. But on the other hand, when he says messed up GUI, he is indeed correct. For example, one gets *frustrated* when one runs a win mobile 2003 app containg lots of menus on a win mobile 5 device. This is because win mobile 5 opts for one handed approach.

**developers do have the option to disable one handed approch though

Sunny

Janak Parekh
01-12-2006, 04:35 PM
But on the other hand, when he says messed up GUI, he is indeed correct. For example, one gets *frustrated* when one runs a win mobile 2003 app containg lots of menus on a win mobile 5 device.
I wouldn't cite that as a good example of a messed-up GUI. WM5 handles legacy menus just fine, without any problem whatsoever. Developers do not need to do anything special. Yes, they cannot be one-handed, but with a stylus they operate just fine.

In fact, I would go further and say that most standard applications work without any GUI glitches, even games. Unusual plugins, system tools like backup, etc. will likely have issues.

--janak

rodrigo_braz
01-12-2006, 06:30 PM
What about Win CE software? Is it also supposed to work on WM 5?

Rodrigo

Darius Wey
01-12-2006, 06:36 PM
What about Win CE software? Is it also supposed to work on WM 5?

In a nutshell, not on its own. Windows Mobile is based on Windows CE, and although the underlying platform is the same, they're still structurally different. You should always look for applications designed specifically for Windows Mobile.

Janak Parekh
01-12-2006, 06:49 PM
In a nutshell, not on its own. Windows Mobile is based on Windows CE, and although the underlying platform is the same, they're still structurally different. You should always look for applications designed specifically for Windows Mobile.
BTW, Darius is correct, although some CE software may work on your Pocket PC. Do expect a lot of UI glitches, though, if they do. I would only try if I really needed something that wasn't offered in a Pocket PC version.

--janak