View Full Version : Software Suggestions for Windows Mobile

Dent
01-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey all,

I am looking at picking up a Windows Mobile phone (E-TEN M600) and need some software suggestions.

A few questions:

1. I have two computers, one at work and one at home. I want to have two separate calendars on the mobile phone (one for work, one for home), and two sets of contacts, and two sets of tasks. I do not want to sync tasks from my home computer in with tasks from my work computer, for example. What applications should I be looking at?

2. I assume this is the case but wanted to check – the notes section in Outlook Contacts also gets synced to the mobile phone, correct? As well as the notes section in Outlook Calendar?

Thanks for your help, and happy New Year.

Dent

uwaku
01-10-2006, 08:00 PM
The notes sections on both DO get sync'd, so you're good there. I'm sure someone will suggest a commercial program that can handle two separate calendars & tasks, but I simply filter out personal items at work, because frankly, checking two calendars is a pain. Besides, it's free.

Darius Wey
01-11-2006, 05:07 AM
Unfortunately, it's not that easy keeping two calendars separated on your Pocket PC as Windows Mobile only utilises a single appointments databases to store your calendar data. And as of yet, I've not come across a third-party program which can solidly handle two separate calendars as all PIM programs tend to feed off the same appointments database.

But there is a fix, though largely manual. For each entry in your home calendar, assign it a special category (e.g. Home). For each entry in your work calendar, assign it another special category (e.g. Work). So, when you view it on the Pocket PC, you can filter between the two categories by selecting "Menu > Filter > Home" or "Menu > Filter > Work". It's not a flash method, but it works.

With regards to the notes query, they both get synchronised, as uwaku has already stated.

Dent
01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
So, info from both the home and the work computer get synced on the Pocket PC, and that info is then synced to each computer - in effect home contacts get synced to the work computer and vice versa? Or is there a mechanism to flag contacts to only sync on one computer and not the other?

Thanks
Dent

Darius Wey
01-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on your preferences), there's no flagging mechanism. Information on one computer will eventually make its way to the other.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-11-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't know about AS 4.x (required by the ETen M600), but under AS 3.8 you can filter synced categories. For example at home, you can tick the box for the 'Home' category, while untick it at work. This way, none of your 'Home' appointments get on your work computer.

Darius Wey
01-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I don't know about AS 4.x (required by the ETen M600), but under AS 3.8 you can filter synced categories. For example at home, you can tick the box for the 'Home' category, while untick it at work. This way, none of your 'Home' appointments get on your work computer.

That feature isn't available in ActiveSync 4.x.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-11-2006, 12:57 PM
:roll: One more reason for me never to get a WM5 device - what a shame.

Dent
01-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Alas, I guess I'll just have to work with it.

Thanks all for the replies.

Dent