View Full Version : Rom Update for rx1950/55

estrauss11
01-10-2006, 02:49 PM
over the weekend, I have noticed that HP updated the rx1950/55 downloads with a rom update list on January 4th, but everytime I try to download the update, either HP.com doesn't load the page or can't find the file on the ftp server. Does anyone know if the update acutally exists?

Darius Wey
01-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Nice catch. I'll get this up on the front-page shortly.

With regards to the availability of the file, it's there, but you need to use IE to download the file. It doesn't like Firefox very much. :roll:

friedshrimp
01-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the update. It's a 23meg file so it takes a little while to DL.

Important note: When performing this update, it will wipe your rx1955 clean. You will have to reload all installed prgrams, update contact listing, and copy files back over to the 1955. Make sure you BACK UP everything!

I'll get this up on the front-page shortly

Darius, thanks, saw your note giving everyone a heads up to this important update but your short cut to the file is inop.

Sven Johannsen
01-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Might as well note at this point that upgrading and then restoring from a backup is not a particularly advised method. A new AKU can have new dlls, new, or removed registry keys, updated apps, etc. Restoring from a backup tends to mess with those things, and while you don't wind up with what you had before the update, OS wise, you can wind up with not quite the new one either. Typically it is evidenced by annoying little glitches, missing items, things not working quite right, as opposed to outright failures.

It is usually better to just bite the bullet and re-install like you just got your PPC. Don't forget you will need to delete the current partnership out of AS if you want to use the same Device Name over. Think of it as an opportunity to clean out all the gunk you installed and never really used, and get your PPC running better.

heov
01-10-2006, 07:41 PM
lol how exactly do you backup a rx1955? wm5 lacks backup options :( i guess you could just copy all the files...

Darius Wey
01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Darius, thanks, saw your note giving everyone a heads up to this important update but your short cut to the file is inop.

Works fine for me. HP had a crazy one hour fiddling with their servers, so that might have been the cause of the dead link.

Darius Wey
01-10-2006, 07:49 PM
lol how exactly do you backup a rx1955? wm5 lacks backup options :( i guess you could just copy all the files...

There are plenty of options - just well-hidden. :)

Check out this thread if you're interested: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45527

But Sven's right. Cross-ROM backup and restore jobs aren't advised.

estrauss11
01-10-2006, 08:32 PM
since finding this update over the past weekend, hp must still be having problems with their servers, I'm going to try downloading it at home tonight with IE, and see if it finally DL.

friedshrimp
01-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Might as well note at this point that upgrading and then restoring from a backup is not a particularly advised method.

Sven, I didn't mean using the equivalent of an old tape backup/restore method. What I meant was to copy all of your files to an SD chip or to your partnered HD and then copy them back after the upgrade is complete. Files such as office documents, eWallet cards, Lists, data files in general. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Just wanted to warn folks so that after they completed the upgrade they wouldn't wonder where their shopping list went to!

estrauss11
01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
I finally was able to download it.
On the backup issue, I transfer all my files with activesync file sync, I just have to copy my old Pocket PC documents from one file folder to the other. It's just reinstalling application that are a pain in the butt.