View Full Version : WM2k3 really is snappier than the WM5 (my experiences)

heov
01-10-2006, 12:51 AM
So my friend bought a 2410 brand new the other day and I started using it... oh man, that unit seems SO MUCH SNAPPIER! The last Pocket PPC I had used before Windows Mobile 5 was my PPC2k2 Asus MyPal a600 device, which was pretty quick. But after using hte hx2495 for well over a month, and then using his Windows Mobile 2k3 SE, it just seems so much faster.

Now dont' get me wrong, movies and stuff are all about the same speed... and I'll say that PIE is faster on my hx2495 at rendering things, but Just hitting start, going to programs, loading a program, is simply snappier on the hx2415.

Of course this is due to the fact that it uses actual dynamic ram for it's OS, but I thought i'd just let everyone know :)

I don't htink I'd trade in my persistant storage and the menu system for a snappier navigation though. He did get the Windows Mobile 5 upgrade CD for free though, which includes the "downgrade" utility... which I hear is possible to downgrade a hx2495 to PPC2k3... so maybe i'll give it a shot one day :) When i finally get a real backup app availabe.

pocketpcadmirer
01-12-2006, 09:03 AM
I guess this has been discussed before too

Sunny

Links....

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44432 about the windows mobile 5 upgrade

**edit:link added

Janak Parekh
01-12-2006, 04:44 PM
... and what's your point? Unless you have something specific -- like a link to a previous discussion -- this is a pointless comment.

heov: After having used many devices since the 2000 era, WM5 does feel a little bit slower, but honesty, it's pretty snappy on my JasJar. However, I've heard that things like Today plugins do affect WM5 a lot more than they affect previous OS versions. You may want to experiment and turn off background startup items, Today plugins, etc.

--janak

heov
01-14-2006, 07:32 AM
... and what's your point? Unless you have something specific -- like a link to a previous discussion -- this is a pointless comment.

heov: After having used many devices since the 2000 era, WM5 does feel a little bit slower, but honesty, it's pretty snappy on my JasJar. However, I've heard that things like Today plugins do affect WM5 a lot more than they affect previous OS versions. You may want to experiment and turn off background startup items, Today plugins, etc.

--janak

indeed i may have exaggerated a little :)

but i was simply amazed on how fast that thing soft resets. it takes at least twice as long on my hx2495 than it does on his unit.

the thing that really got me was after a fresh soft reset, i could go to start, settings, and hit hte second tab (system i think), and the delay is very small. on my hx2495, it takes a good second to list them all.

i've been using his device recently, and now i can really see the value in the WM5 menu system. Before i thought wtf.. now im missing out of all teh buttons and it's wasting so much space, but when i was trying to use his device. i turn it on, go to IE (all w/ only buttons), and then i was stuck. i coudln't even load up the list of favorites w/o pulling out hte stylus :(

what i don't understand is why did MS/OEMs go w/ Flash ROM when they could have gone w/ NAND Ram (NVFS), which the way i understand it, is fairly fast, and is waht the Palm TX uses. It's much faster than ROM, but is also non-volatile. or maybe they both technologically the same thing?

Janak Parekh
01-14-2006, 07:37 AM
what i don't understand is why did MS/OEMs go w/ Flash ROM when they could have gone w/ NAND Ram (NVFS), which the way i understand it, is fairly fast, and is waht the Palm TX uses. It's much faster than ROM, but is also non-volatile. or maybe they both technologically the same thing?
From what I've heard, NVFS has also effected a performance overhead, although I don't know relatively what its effect was as I gave up Palm a long time ago.

As for the use of particular ROM technologies, it gets rather complicated. NAND doesn't support eXecute In Place (XIP), so it's often not used for System ROM. As for storage, a device could theoretically use NAND (and perhaps some do?) -- but that doesn't necessarily improve performance.

--janak

ppcinfo
01-15-2006, 05:08 PM
I upgraded my x50v from WM 2003 to WM 5.0 and in my experience WM 5.0 is very slow when compared to WM 2003. I tried all the registry hacks I could find which help a bit, but the system was still frustrating slow in operation. Also, a lot of programs that I purchased and used under WM 2003 no longer work properly with WM 5.0 (because Microsoft change the OS). So, I downgraded to WM 2003 and everything is working better for me now.

ppcinfo