View Full Version : Cleaning up installation mess

rodrigo_braz
01-09-2006, 02:12 AM
I have had a couple of unsuccessful and messy installations recently. As a result, I have some icons in 'Programs' without a program behind them. I also have another program whose name is not in the 'Remove programs' list, but which is installed (I would like to uninstall it). Could anyone please tell me how to fix this, or indicate some article that explains the internals so I can do it?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Guest979
01-09-2006, 03:12 AM
The shortcuts used on the Programs page are in \Windows\Start Menu\Programs\.

As for uninstalling your other program, a program can install files practically anywhere, so especially without even knowing what program it is, there isn't much advice I can give. Start by looking around with your File Explorer, and hopefully it will be obvious (either just one file, or all files in one folder), which many programs are. Be CAREFUL not to delete anything you need for something else; if you don't know what something is, don't delete it.

rodrigo_braz
01-09-2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks, that is helpful. I will try that and report back if I find anything interesting.

Patrick Y.
01-09-2006, 05:55 AM
You can also use GSFinder or resco file explorer's search function to find all exe files. Also, Memmaid or something similar can clean up dead shortcuts.

pocketpcadmirer
01-09-2006, 12:08 PM
To the author of this thread..there's a great utility called mem-maid which has an option to do away with all the remaining parts of bad uninstalled files.

There's a trial version too. It offers other great features too. Give it a try :)

Sunny

Menneisyys
01-12-2006, 08:05 AM
In addition to the (excellent) MemMaid, I also recommend SKTools. Please read http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=360617 for a complete roundup of PPC cleaning apps.

pocketpcadmirer
01-12-2006, 08:44 AM
But I've used SKtools and I conjure that it is a bit slow when compared to memmaid. I though do agree that sktools offers more features, but on the other hand, I love the quick clean feature of memmaid

Sunny