View Full Version : GPS in general

HiQ
01-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Hi,

I own a Qtek S100 and I'm thinking of getting a bluetooth GPS system. What I want to know is; what hardware do you recommend and what software should I use. I live in Sweden...
Should I buy them separately or in a package, like TomTom. Sorry if this has been posted before, I'm a newbie =)

clbsvi
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
I suggest that you get a Compact Flash GPS card if your system will support it. Otherwise, go to the US site www.DeLorme.com and look at their really small GPS PDA-compatible hardware. In Europe, you will need a European source of mapping software, but DeLorme hardware is compatible with the software from almost all other sources. Last but not least, buy a new or used discrete GPS handheld receiver. Garmin in the US makes the best stuff, usually about $200.00 US. This solution is the most versatile because even the fastest PDA processors seem to bog down when logging GPS (every 10 seconds or so) updates, and PDA battery life suffers accordingly. A typical Garmin unit will last for two full days of steady operation, can be powered from an automobile cigarette lighter socket, and can also be used with rechargeable Lithium or NiMH batteries, usually two in the size "AA" cofiguration. LOL

Sven Johannsen
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
With that device, not having a CF slot, and not two slots, I would also recommend a BT reciever. There SD recievers but they take the place of the memory card you will want for maps and such.

First and foremost you need to look for a package that does Sweden well. You have looked at TomTom apparently and they have a good reputation in Europe. Without some Swedes chiming in with a better option, I would say they are a good bet.

If you go with them, settling on their BT package will probably save you money over trying to find a reciever alone and ordering just the software. You can always use other mapping packages with that BT reciever. You would also have the advantage of having just one company to call if you have problems. Cuts down on the finger pointing if they can only point at themselves.

Cybrid
01-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Best advice I could offer is be very critical and compare everything. Make the decision after a good deal of research. www.gpspassion.com is prolly a good place to start.
I have literally hundreds of dollars in GPS software I no longer use and wasted time and money on.

HiQ
01-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the replies people. I've set my mind on the TomTom package, mainly because of their good reputation in Scandinavia, as you said. Really looking forwards to a more technological driving ;)

globaloffice
01-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the replies people. I've set my mind on the TomTom package, mainly because of their good reputation in Scandinavia, as you said. Really looking forwards to a more technological driving ;)

I'm glad they have a good reputation where you are, because here their tech support nothing short of sucks..

-Roger

DerekAbney
01-23-2006, 04:15 PM
The TomTom products have received very good reviews. The GO 700 has traditional handsfree Bluetooth and the 300 has BT for PLUS services. You can't go wrong with either though.