View Full Version : Isn't there some way to backup my tasks to a PC without having to have Outlook installed?

purefusion
01-07-2006, 02:40 AM
I don't like, nor do I use Microsoft Outlook. Who'd have thought that tasks, calendar, and notes were all Outlook based on my Pocket PC? They've got 'em cleverly disguised! Anyway, isn't there someway to at least back up my tasks, calendar and notes on the PC in case of loss or damage of the PPC? (Not that I plan on having it lost or damage, nor do I plan a hard reset...)

Much thanks!
Scott

Darius Wey
01-07-2006, 03:13 AM
Hang on, I'm confused. Do you dislike Outlook on the Pocket PC, computer, or both?

If you're still using Outlook on the computer, then you can easily backup your PIM data. Simply click File > Import and Export > Export to a File. Select Personal File Folder (.pst), then select the folders you wish to backup (ticking the Include Subfolders box where appropriate).

SteveHoward999
01-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I guess you are like me - I don't use Outlook either. At least I didn't before I got the PPC ... Synch with Outlook is pretty handy. Sorry - I went over the the dark side for my contacts and calendar. But I still don't use it for eMail or newsgroups :-)

Anyway, try this.

Cradle your device, then use Explorer (on the PC) to browse it. Just in case it's not something you normally do (though it sounds like you know your way about the PPC), I'll tell you the steps I usually take ... as ever with Windows there are several routs!

I open Windows Explorer.
Then I browse to the Pocket PC (you can see it in the 'root' of the machine next to your hard drive and CD etc)
Once PocketPC is open there is a link to My Device (looks like a mini PPC) open that too.
You'll see a folder called Databases.

Now you can either open that folder and copy only the files yo are interested in (Tasks, Contacts, Appointments ...) or alternatively just back up the entire Database folder.

If you have a normal backup plan anyway, using the built-in backup software or something like Sprite, these files should already be getting backed up.

purefusion
01-08-2006, 04:24 AM
Yeah, I thought I might have to convert to the dark side. But I'd still use Thunderbird for email. Who'd have thought tasks and calendar on the PPC would be so cleverly disguised from being Outlook. Ha!

Yes, my plan is to not clutter my desktop PC with unnecessary programs, especially ones I don't use. I just want to backup tasks and calendar in case of memory loss, since I can't seem to store any of them on the card. (If anyone knows a hack to store tasks and calendar on the external card, that'd rock!)

Also, my manual only showed a way to backup files by moving them to external card or to the PC. Using the "IE" method you just mentioned, how would I replace that data if data on the PPC is lost?

Is there a software that creates an exact backup, that can be restored to exactly as it was before? That'd be cool too.

Thanks again!

ctmagnus
01-08-2006, 04:58 AM
Is there a software that creates an exact backup, that can be restored to exactly as it was before? That'd be cool too.

Thanks again!

Sprite Backup (www.spritesoftware.com). It's highly recommended! (Unless you use a WM5 machine.)

SteveHoward999
01-08-2006, 05:07 AM
Also, my manual only showed a way to backup files by moving them to external card or to the PC. Using the "IE" method you just mentioned, how would I replace that data if data on the PPC is lost?

I've not tried it, but to restore files that you have copied to the desktop, I'd try copying them back. Might need to force pocket outlook to close before you can copy hte files back.

Sprite will do the full backup you want and restore your PPC to exactly the state it was before you ran the backup. Also, on all three of the Toshiba PPCs I have had and the Dell my wife has, there is a built-in backup tool that will also backup everything and restore the PPC to exactly the state it was in when the backup was done - that includes reinstalling 3rd-party software and registration keys.

I would expect all PPCs to have similar backup software built in, but since I have not played with many I don't know if they all actually do ...

--

purefusion
01-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Upon going to the site to buy Sprite, there's a message stating that it's not compatible with windows mobile 2005, only with 2002, 2003. A pulic beta version is available I've found, but far from the commercial release of the software.

How did you get to the other PPCs you talked about to do the onboard backup? Maybe I can tinker around and try to find something.

I may just install Outlook anyway, though. As you said, you switched over to the "dark side." Sometimes, you just have to do what you have to do. I get one free copy with the CD from the PPC.

SteveHoward999
01-08-2006, 04:12 PM
How did you get to the other PPCs you talked about to do the onboard backup? Maybe I can tinker around and try to find something.

On the Toshibas, go to Programs > Backup. Not sure about the Dell.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Which PPC do you have? You haven't mentioned.