View Full Version : 3835 Lock-Up

TedJones
01-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I have an HP iPAQ H3835 which has worked fine until both batteries (expansion sleeve) completely discharged. Since then I've experienced 3 problems that I assume are related.

After a soft reset, it continually clicks as though the screen were being tapped. And, the Start menu will not stay open after being clicked. After a power-off and then on, it works OK except...

It locks-up when I start the iNav iGuidance mapping program. Previously, this worked fine. Also...

When I start the Bluetooth Manager, I get a message that says,

"The Bluetooth Radio failed to turn ON due to insufficent driver memory available. YOu must perform a normal reset before you can turn ON the Bluetooth Radio."

A reset does not help.

I have done at least 3 hard resets but still get these same problems. HP was no help.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Darius Wey
01-07-2006, 03:33 AM
Do you experience the same issues when the device is connected to the AC?

TedJones
01-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks for your response. Yes, I've tried it while connected to the AC. I assume this indicates a problem with memory but Settings->Memory report all 63.14 MB as total memory with 52 MB free.

Janak Parekh
01-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks for your response. Yes, I've tried it while connected to the AC. I assume this indicates a problem with memory but Settings->Memory report all 63.14 MB as total memory with 52 MB free.
The Bluetooth issues have little to do with actual system memory free. The only known solution I've known is the soft-reset, which isn't working for you. :(

What is worrying me more is the tap-click sounds. That's indicative of hardware trouble. I'm not quite sure why it would only happen after all the batteries drain, though.

--janak

TedJones
01-10-2006, 12:33 AM
I got the Bluetooth working by installing it in main memory. I thought I had it working previously from the iPAQ File Store, but I guess not.

I still can't get the iNav iGuidance to work and the clicking after a reset still happen. It could be hardware damage after a drop or screen scratch.

After powering off and on, everything else seems to work OK.

I don't know if the unit is worth sending into HP for repair, which is the only thing HP suggested.

Darius Wey
01-10-2006, 05:29 AM
It does sound like a hardware issue, as Janak suggested.

I'm not sure if it's worth sending back to HP for repair. The cost of freight and the replacement parts might easily exceed the cost of a new Pocket PC.

Constant Caffeine
01-18-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure if it's worth sending back to HP for repair. The cost of freight and the replacement parts might easily exceed the cost of a new Pocket PC.

I was instructed by my boss to send in a 3800 we had in surplus to HP. I called HP and they sent me a prepaid box. They charged my credit card $75 to inspect and report their findings. I authorized them to make the repairs and they replaced the battery, which they reported was attached to the system board and needed to be replaced as well. The total was $169 to repair, which included the $75 inspection fee. I really did not want to spend all that money on repairing older technology, but I had to do what the boss wanted. Ah, the things that I will do when I’m boss.
:devilboy:

TedJones
01-19-2006, 02:55 AM
I was instructed by my boss to send in a 3800 we had in surplus to HP. I called HP and they sent me a prepaid box. They charged my credit card $75 to inspect and report their findings. I authorized them to make the repairs and they replaced the battery, which they reported was attached to the system board and needed to be replaced as well. The total was $169 to repair, which included the $75 inspection fee. I really did not want to spend all that money on repairing older technology, but I had to do what the boss wanted. Ah, the things that I will do when I’m boss.
:devilboy:

I've been looking at iPAQs on eBay and excellent condition 8535s were going for $120 - $145.

I came across and bought the HP iPAQ 8500 series Pocket PC 2003 Upgrade on dBay which is not available from HP. It loaded fine on my 8538 but did not solve the problem. It still clicks after a reset until powered-off and on, and starting iNav iGuidance locks it up. Everything else, including Bluetooth since I loaded it in main memory, works fine.