View Full Version : A couple of questions regarding my PPC

JesterMania
01-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I finally bought my first PPC (iPAQ hx2790) and there were a few questions that came to mind:

1. The instructions told me that to "save power", I should always keep the iPAQ charged and connected to the cradle at all times. My iPAQ uses an Li-Ion and as far as I know, the Li-Ion in my MP3 player can be charged around ~400 times or so until it is of no use. My question is, should I keep the iPAQ always fully charged or run the Li-Ion down to a low amount before charging again? I'm worried that continuous charging of the Li-Ion will reduce its lifetime.

2. When I do a Clean Reset, everything is wiped out and the unit is restored to factory settings. Just out of curiousity, how exactly does it get restored to factory settings? Is there some internal memory that stores an image of the ROM and restores it when Clean Reset is activated or is there another method used?

3. I've been installing programs to ROM so far (have about 130mb extra). What if I install a program to a removable SD card and I later remove that SD card? Will the OS detect the absence of the program and remove any shortcut links to it or will I have to do that manually?

4. I tried to do a search but I could not find the answer - how can I make my own links to programs in the Programs folder? There are a few programs (such as VLC) I installed manually and would like to make shortcuts for it, and PocketNES installed 2 shortcuts and I would like to remove one of them for example.

Any help is always appreciated. :D

PetiteFlower
01-06-2006, 06:02 PM
1. Running down the charge very low on a Li battery will reduce its life. Keeping it charged will make it last longer.

2. I really have no clue how the device is restored to factory settings after a hard reset, at least under WM5!

3. When you remove a storage card with programs on it, all the shortcuts and registry entries remain. Then when you put the card back in, you will be able to run the program again. If you delete the icons after removing the card, you'll have to re-install the program before you can use it, so that would be silly :)

4. You can create and delete shortcuts by clicking on Explore in Activesync on the desktop. You can do it through File Explorer on the PPC too, but I think it's easier on a desktop.

Guest979
01-06-2006, 07:39 PM
The shortcuts to programs on an expansion card that is not present may become "generic" (in appearance) if the PocketPC hasn't seen the card recently enough.

I find this annoying and solve it by putting all my card-based programs in a folder called "Card" on the application screen. The icons will still be generic if you go look at them at the wrong time, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to avoid the Card folder when the card isn't inserted.