View Full Version : Best thumb keyboard?

CyyberSpaceCowboy
01-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Color me clueless, but I just found out there are thumb keyboards available with pretty much the same form factor as a built in keyboard. I'm looking for a PPC to replace my now dead Treo 180, and adding a thumb keyboard would give me a lot more options in model selection.

Has anyone seen a comparitive review of different brands online? I know not all keyboards fit all iPaqs (and therefore, I presume on made for an iPaq won't fix an Axim, etc).

Here's my criteria:

1. Solid attactment: What I wanted was a built in keyboard, so I intend to treat the keyboard as if it were a fixed component and never remove it. Am I correct in understanding hardwired keyboards have a passthrough for recharging while Bluetooth keyboards don't?

2. Ruggedness: How long will it last?

3. Functionality: Are there things you can do with a built in keyboard that you can't with an add-on? Do some add on's have better functionality than others?

I posted in the iPaq section to limit the scope of the discussion, but if someone were to post that there is a great keyboard, but it is only availabe for Axim's or Asus, etc., that would be a big factor in my purchase. Are there carrying cases that accomodate thumb keyboards (I assume any made for a built-in model would work).

Thanks

pocketpcadmirer
01-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Reading what you want I recommend you the following devices....

Treo 700W from Palm(is gsm enabled)
HP iPAQ 6700 messenger(is gsm enabled)
'old' ipaq 4355((is not gsm enabled)

All have very nice and good quality thumboards(better than ur treo 180)

Though thumboards do come as an accessory for a lot of pocket pcs I would not recommend them because u seem to want one always with u :)

Sunny

Sven Johannsen
01-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Two considerations. 1) I don't think I've seen a single attached thumb keyboard that permits charging or syncing with it attached. They typically use the sync connector and don't provide a pass through. 2) I believe there is only one 'Thumb' BT keyboard and the reviews have not been stellar at the moment, primarily in the driver availability. It seems a good fit for Cell phones, as it has a clip attachment feature. That likely wouldn't fit on a PPC due to width and the lack of non-screen space at the bottom.

I'd stick with a built in style. None of the add-ons are particularly functional if you intend to use them as if they were built in.

It's gone now, but the Jornada 560 series had the slickest thumbboard attachment that existed (IMHO). Once on, it looked like it belonged there.

pocketpcadmirer
01-05-2006, 06:45 PM
I'd stick with a built in style. None of the add-ons are particularly functional if you intend to use them as if they were built in.

Please dont mind it, but have you ever used an ipaq 2215 with thumboard..it provides great functionality and flushes nicely with the device too

Sunny

Sven Johannsen
01-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Please dont mind it, but have you ever used an ipaq 2215 with thumboard..it provides great functionality and flushes nicely with the device too

Sunny

Yes. Your impression of flush and mine must be different. Still, you must remove it to charge, though you could sync via BT (or IR, or WiFi with a card). It also precludes the use of any case.

Janak Parekh
01-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Treo 700W from Palm(is gsm enabled)
Actually, the 700w is CDMA-only at this time.

There are several other very good phone-enabled devices with integrated thumbboards to look at, including the HTC Universal, HTC Apache and HTC Wizard devices (the local branding varies by country and carrier). In fact, I would say that all three feature larger, more comfortable thumbboards, since they're landscape-oriented, not portrait-oriented.

As you may have guessed, the always-on connectivity nature of Pocket PC Phones lends themselves particularly well to thumbboards. Since you've used a Treo 180 before, I'm guessing you would want such a unit, but if not, elaborate further on what your requirements are and we can give more precise suggestions. Incidentally, having used clip-on thumbboards with a number of devices, I wasn't impressed with them, and would personally opt for an integrated thumbboard.

--janak

CyyberSpaceCowboy
01-06-2006, 06:34 AM
First, allow me to correct a misconception, I don't know where my head was when I was typing last night. I have a Treo 90 (the one without a phone) and I was hoping to avoid getting a phone this time (or if I have to get one I may never activate it). I don't want to learn Graffitti (is it called that on PPC?) because I type a lot of notes I do want 802.11b/g. I assume there is a PPC Wi-Phone app out there.

Thanks to everybody for responding. You answered my big question, that the add-ons are no replacement for a built in.

43xx iPaqs had been recomended before, I can't find a retailer selling refurbs, just Ebay.

pocketpcadmirer
01-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Sorry Janek, my mind slipped.

And to the author, looks like thumb-keyboards are popular on only photo editions. If you type a lot of notes then i would recommend you to buy any wi-fi enabled ppc(eg:hx4700 whose prices have greatly fallen or dell X51v) and buy an external keyboard.
GO for the wireless one but not the one which uses ir(u may not be able to use ir keyboard in bright sunlight). So go for the BT keyboard

Sunny

pocketpcadmirer
01-06-2006, 07:26 AM
and yes one more thing..before buying make sure to check the compatibility of the keyboard. Dell axim x51v has some serious campatibity probs with many bt keyboards

Sunny

Janak Parekh
01-06-2006, 11:24 PM
First, allow me to correct a misconception, I don't know where my head was when I was typing last night. I have a Treo 90 (the one without a phone) and I was hoping to avoid getting a phone this time (or if I have to get one I may never activate it).
You could certainly get a Phone Edition device without activating it, but you may find it to be an expensive option.

I don't want to learn Graffitti (is it called that on PPC?) because I type a lot of notes I do want 802.11b/g. I assume there is a PPC Wi-Phone app out there.
There are a variety, including Skype for Pocket PC. Do note, however, that attaching external micrphones may be more difficult for non-Phone Edition devices -- not all have microphone input built-in.

Thanks to everybody for responding. You answered my big question, that the add-ons are no replacement for a built in.
No, in my personal experience they aren't the same -- especially in form factor and portability. That said, non-Phone-Edition devices may reduce your choices.

43xx iPaqs had been recomended before, I can't find a retailer selling refurbs, just Ebay.
Yes, I've heard very good things about the iPAQ 4350, although it is somewhat outdated. If you want a more modern Pocket PC, depending on the circumstances, you may indeed shop around for a clip-on thumbboard... or you may want to consider getting a Bluetooth-enabled full-size folding keyboard instead of a thumbboard, and placing the Pocket PC on its stand.

--janak

CyyberSpaceCowboy
01-07-2006, 07:07 AM
attaching external micrphones may be more difficult for non-Phone Edition devices -- not all have microphone input built-in

Thanks Janak, I might not have thought of that. I'm a tech (which might lead one to believe I could correctly identify a PDA lying on the desk in front of me I've carried every day for almost two years). I mainly store service records, passwords, network configurations, tech references, etc. I became interested in a PPC as a replacement when I found 2K server administration software on Microsoft.com. I'm also interested MS Voice Control. I record and refer to these notes while working on workstations, so a foldout keyboard I have to set on a desk never appealed to me.

I may look at a Treo 700w, but I'd prefer to give it few months to see if any application compatibility problems show up. Anyway, that's another thread that I sure is already ongoing.[/quote]

Janak Parekh
01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
I became interested in a PPC as a replacement when I found 2K server administration software on Microsoft.com. I'm also interested MS Voice Control. I record and refer to these notes while working on workstations, so a foldout keyboard I have to set on a desk never appealed to me.
Ah - got it. I used to use touchscreen entry when note-taking on workstations, but a thumbboard helps. (Actually, now I just carry my laptop around. 8O It's a Powerbook, so it resumes very quickly, and I'm still much, much faster on a full-sized keyboard.)

I may look at a Treo 700w, but I'd prefer to give it few months to see if any application compatibility problems show up. Anyway, that's another thread that I sure is already ongoing.
Initial responses look like there are few compatibility issues. :) But sure, you may want to wait for another batch of reviews before taking the plunge.

--janak

Constant Caffeine
01-18-2006, 09:34 PM
If I have to use a keyboard and I’m without my foldable keyboard, I use PDA keyboard. It is software rather than hardware and is a little better than the standard software that comes with your PDA.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-19-2006, 01:40 AM
Have you considered any of the software thumb keyboards like Typango or SPB Full Screen Keyboard? From your comments, it seems like you're not that familiar with the input options on Windows Mobile. While MS has an analogue of Graffiti (Block recognizer), there's also the MS version of Grafitti (Letter Recognizer), a software keyboard and handwriting recognition.