View Full Version : Kindly guide me please :roll:

pocketpcadmirer
01-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Well I'm going to learn VB.net from an institution..after learning it, will I be able to develop apps for windows mobile too ??

Sunny

SteveHoward999
01-04-2006, 02:06 PM
There are differences between what you can do on PPC and what you can do in Windows, but generally speakin, yes you will be on your way to being able to develop for PPC too.

pocketpcadmirer
01-04-2006, 04:32 PM
thanks for the reply..now just wait and watch for the next 3 months and i'll be having my own app :D

Sunny

Guest979
01-04-2006, 05:59 PM
.NET is a framework, meaning a large collection of classes and methods that allow you to use most of the built-in features in Windows.

There is a version of .NET called .NETcf (Compact Framework), which is missing many of the features of .NET. However, you can write code in .NETcf and use it to create a PocketPC application. There is a new version of .NETcf, version 2.0, that has more features than 1.1, but in order to use this, you will need the new Visual Studio .NET 2005 (not 2003). Your PocketPC will have to be WM5, or have the newer framework installed manually (possible for 2003, not sure about 2002).

There is more than one language that can write .NET/.NETcf code. Visual Basic is a pretty lame one, IMO. Some employers still use it, but mostly for legacy reasons. I think C# is a lot nicer.

SteveHoward999
01-04-2006, 06:32 PM
There is a new version of .NETcf, version 2.0, that has more features than 1.1, but in order to use this, you will need the new Visual Studio .NET 2005 (not 2003). Your PocketPC will have to be WM5, or have the newer framework installed manually (possible for 2003, not sure about 2002).

2003 and later only. No support for 2000 or 2002.

gwinter
01-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Visual Basic is a pretty lame one, IMO. Some employers still use it, but mostly for legacy reasons. I think C# is a lot nicer.

VB.NET shouldn't really be looked at as lame, since the language itself has actually been updated to be on equal footing, with C# for example. I think most perception on VB.NET is still based on pre-.NET version. It is of course a matter of personal taste (influnced by experience) which language one chooses, but all language are viewd on equal footing.

Having said that however, some language can expose feature that are not available in others. In managed C++, for example, you can control the boxing and unboxing of variable.

Guest979
01-05-2006, 06:06 PM
I don't mean lame in terms of capabilities... I meant that it is a pain to learn silly "dim" keywords and the rather inefficient syntax. For me it is, anyway. If you like it, use it.