View Full Version : encoding dvd's to mpeg4 SP format

Dave Manchester
01-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Okay, I'm a first time user of this forum and am in awe of the levels of knowledge of all of you out there. I am pretty pleased with myself for just logging on successfully to this forum!
As you will understand...I need help. I have an Archos AV500 60 GB media player which is awesome - except I cannot get a dvd to write onto it. I have tried all sorts of different encoder downloads and eventually (with a free trial version of Nero 6) managed to convert a dvd movie to a mpeg4 media file. Still my machine would not recognise it! Aaaargh!

The help file says it should be in mpeg4 SP format and the device is accompanied by an avi to mpeg4 SP converter - but I can't get my dvd's into avi form either. Am I just being completely stupid, or is this actually quite complicated.

PLEASE will one of you clever people tell me in many simple one-command steps which buttons I have to push to complete this task?
Thank you for reading this.

Cybrid
01-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Okay, I'm a first time user of this forum and am in awe of the levels of knowledge of all of you out there. I am pretty pleased with myself for just logging on successfully to this forum!
As you will understand...I need help. I have an Archos AV500 60 GB media player which is awesome - except I cannot get a dvd to write onto it. I have tried all sorts of different encoder downloads and eventually (with a free trial version of Nero 6) managed to convert a dvd movie to a mpeg4 media file. Still my machine would not recognise it! Aaaargh!

The help file says it should be in mpeg4 SP format and the device is accompanied by an avi to mpeg4 SP converter - but I can't get my dvd's into avi form either. Am I just being completely stupid, or is this actually quite complicated.

PLEASE will one of you clever people tell me in many simple one-command steps which buttons I have to push to complete this task?
Thank you for reading this.
Fair Use Wizard lite can convert DVD's to AVI

http://www.fairusewizard.com/lang_en/

Nurhisham Hussein
01-02-2006, 11:11 AM
AVI is just a container format - Fairuse uses Xvid and DivX, which I don't think your convertor will read. You might have to the long way around - rip the DVD to your hard drive, convert to standard Windows AVI, and then use the convertor. Most one step apps, like Fairuse, will use Divx.