View Full Version : PIE Replacement

friedshrimp
12-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Does anyone know of a good replacement for PIE (free or not). Currently, have tried NetFront (only marginally better than PIE and doesn't support the IE "Favorites", based on Netscape's "Bookmarks" (don't want to convert 300+ Favorites to Bookmarks) and Thunderhawk II (is a great program but to have to pay $6.00/month or $50.00/year, EVERY YEAR is utterly rediculous; spoke with their support and they say it's because they keep part of the program on their servers and they need the money for server support, I say rewrite the program so you don't nned servers to maintain a web browser!). Any other suggestions?

Paragon
12-31-2005, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know of a good replacement for PIE (free or not). Currently, have tried NetFront (only marginally better than PIE and doesn't support the IE "Favorites", based on Netscape's "Bookmarks" (don't want to convert 300+ Favorites to Bookmarks) and Thunderhawk II (is a great program but to have to pay $6.00/month or $50.00/year, EVERY YEAR is utterly rediculous; spoke with their support and they say it's because they keep part of the program on their servers and they need the money for server support, I say rewrite the program so you don't nned servers to maintain a web browser!). Any other suggestions?

Opera 8.50 is now UNOFFICIALLY available for Pocket PCs, thanks to xda-developers. This version was written for Pocket PCs and is used on the new Sharp device which is available in Asia. It is very slow to open , but seems to render pages quicker than PIE. It isn't overly feature rich...you can't import favorites. At least not that I can see. It's still worth a look see.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?p=195706

...btw...Thunderhawk is not an application, or "Browser" It is basically a proxy service. It compresses data. They DO need to run and maintain serves and so on, so they do need to charge for the service they provide. Whether or not it's worth the money is an individual decision, for sure. :)

Dave

Guest979
12-31-2005, 05:33 PM
There is a PocketPC ultra-guru called Menneisys, who posts on many discussion boards (but apparently not this one, I think), who has done many in-depth articles about the available browsers for PocketPC. I won't attempt to outdo his work, but I'll mention that Minimo is becoming almost usable and hasn't been listed here yet. Beyond that, you might want to look at Brighthand to see if you can find his excellent articles.

buzzard
01-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Netfront allows 10 favorites on its trial version. If you purchase it, it will copy all of your PIE favorites (not version 3.3 which is still in beta testing...version 3.2 is the one to buy).

friedshrimp
01-01-2006, 06:46 PM
There is a PocketPC ultra-guru called Menneisys, who posts on many discussion boards (but apparently not this one, I think), who has done many in-depth articles about the available browsers for PocketPC. I won't attempt to outdo his work, but I'll mention that Minimo is becoming almost usable and hasn't been listed here yet.

Guest, did some reading on Brighthand sites and found a link for the Minimo v0.012. Tried to install but install aborted, no reason, just a "Thanks but no thanks" and "have a nice day" type of abort. I will assume it is not a version that runs on WM5 (probably 2003 or CE). Will keep checking back with them though so thanks for the direction. :)

Menneisyys
01-05-2006, 01:06 PM
There is a PocketPC ultra-guru called Menneisys, who posts on many discussion boards (but apparently not this one, I think)

I'm here too :) It's just that I've been on a vacation for 3 weeks - this is why I've been silent; have just returned.

I'll mention that Minimo is becoming almost usable and hasn't been listed here yet. Beyond that, you might want to look at Brighthand to see if you can find his excellent articles.

Yup, Minimo is getting better and better. I haven't tested 0.012 yet; the latest version I tested is 0.011 - see http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=327&more=1 . It's pretty good but is still unstable and refuses to work on several Pocket PC models. On the other hand, the latest NetFront TP (downloadable from http://www.access.co.jp/nfppc/dl_v33e.html ) is very good and outperforms almost all the other Pocket PC browsers in almost every respect; see http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=one_of_the_best_alternative_web_browsers&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#trackbacks on it.