View Full Version : Screen Protectors

friedshrimp
12-31-2005, 02:49 AM
Are screen protectors worth a hoot or are they just a waste on money? I keep my 1955 in it's protector most of the time but I see where everyone is selling these screen protectors to keep from getting scratches on the screen. Just how likely is that under normal use (barring drops and dog chewing). If you use them, is there any brand that stands out above the rest or are they all pretty generic?

Darius Wey
12-31-2005, 04:05 AM
If you really want to protect your screen, then screen protectors are a worthy investment. As hard as you try to not scratch the screen, you will scratch the screen, and most often than not, they'll be hairline scratches. If you drop your device on rough ground, then things could get even nastier.

There are a couple of brands that stand out above the others, and if you don't mind spending extra dollars for the quality, then I'd suggest you follow that path. The WriteSHIELDs from Pocket PC Techs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/) are well worth the money spent. They're reusable, non-adhesive, hardly noticeable, improve the writing surface, cut out the glare (if you use the WriteSHIELD AG), and much more. Compare that to the cheap 12-pack you can get at your local office supply store for $10. It's adhesive, non-reusable, very noticeable, and sucks like a vortex.

Whenever I acquire a new device, the first thing I do is slap on a screen protector. I'll refuse to use my device otherwise.

MarcFou
12-31-2005, 04:34 AM
I made the mistake of not using a screen protector and 1 year later I now have a circular "scuff" mark from tapping the programs close button (in the top right corner).

I had a bad experience with a cheap screen protector like Darius described. After I removed it my screen was covered with an adhesive goo. I placed a fresh protector on, and my screen looked blurry. I was never able to fully remove the goo and ended buying a new pda.

BTW the brand was Fellows.

haesslich
12-31-2005, 10:11 AM
You're talking about the FEllowes Write-rights. Horrible pieces of garbage - they don't protect too well, and wear out pretty quickly.

I'd suggest something by Exim or Boxwave - those are thick enough to provide some protection from scratches by stylus or accidental object-application-to-screen situations, and are both non-adhesive - which means that there's no residue to clean up afterwards... but they'll stick onto the digitizer pretty well.

Darius Wey
12-31-2005, 10:21 AM
I may as well mention that the Belkin ones can be considered enemy territory. Its adhesive nature leaves nothing but a gooey mess.

friedshrimp
12-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the input Darius. Ordered a 2-pak Anti-Glare today (one for me and one for my dad). BTW, how long do these protectors last (noticed they were reusable so I assume you can clean them too).

haesslich
12-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Depends on how you treat your iPaq - we're talking at least several months of normal usage, maybe a year or two. :D

Darius Wey
12-31-2005, 06:27 PM
BTW, how long do these protectors last (noticed they were reusable so I assume you can clean them too).

Yes, they can be cleaned. Usually, if treated right, the screen protectors will last you the life of the device and you shouldn't need to change them before the next gadget upgrade.