View Full Version : Redirecting "My Documents"

victore
12-29-2005, 11:37 PM
I have a Qtek 9100 running WM 5.0 and a 1GB miniSD card. Is there a way to redirect the "My Documents" from the internal memory of my 9100 to a "My Documents" folder on the storage card? Basically, I want to be able to save some space on my device by storing all my Word/Excel and other "stuff" that usually sits in the "My Documents" folder onto the card.

I know I can move the contents to the card, but what about file synching with ActiveSync? Won't it put new files into the default location on the device. Is there a registry setting I can mod that tells my device that "My Documents" sits on the miniSD card?

Nurhisham Hussein
12-30-2005, 01:01 AM
The short answer is no, there's no way to do what you want. But there are alternatives, like mobsync (http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=985). It does require an extra step though.

victore
12-30-2005, 01:41 AM
I tried to run MobSync, but it fails with an error. I took a look at the guy's forums and there might be incompatibility with it and AS 4.1

MarcFou
12-30-2005, 04:09 AM
Would the following regedit work on this device?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services

String: FileSyncPath
Value: \SD Card\My Documents

The default value for FileSyncPath is \My Documents. It depends what the path is on the device. For pocket pc's the SD path is \SD Card.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-30-2005, 04:24 AM
Hmm, that's interesting, that might be worth a try, though I'd double check the path name - on my machine it's \SD-MMCard.

MarcFou
12-30-2005, 04:30 AM
I'm only familiar with iPaq's. So I have no clue about paths for other devices. I think the path is the same for Axim's though.

You may need to create the folder on the SD card first. I came up with this after moving my IE cache to the SD card.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-30-2005, 04:58 AM
Be very careful relocating the cache like that - browser caches are the number one reason for FAT corruption on SD cards. Make sure you create constant backups of the data on your SD card.

MarcFou
12-30-2005, 05:14 AM
I never knew that! Thanks for that info. Actually I may move the cache back just to avoid any problems.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-30-2005, 07:18 AM
The voice of experience, unfortunately - been there, done that :cry:

burtcom
12-31-2005, 12:22 AM
Getting back to the topic -- does the registry hack for redirecting of "my Documents" to the storage card actually work?

I'm worried that while ActiveSync might recognize it, the device OS and some of the installed software will still insist on putting things in the root My Directory folder.

I don't wanna be the experimentor just now -- I just recovered from a major-must-reinstall-all-software-crash :-)

victore
12-31-2005, 08:58 AM
I checked the Registry of my 9100, and that key doesn't exisit. I'm tempted to add the key, but I don't want to lose any of my data.

I searched for the term "My Documents" and there were serveral instances of it scattered throughout the Registry. Several of my installed programs called out to it, so I'm afraid that if I add the key, it may break my apps. I'm all for being a trail blazer, but I'd rather rely on someone else's experiences.