View Full Version : x51v On the Way - DVD viewing

beckp
12-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Well my Toshiba e740 screen bit the dust (screen acts like it's being contacted, menu's, etc. pop up all the time and looses calibration) so I just ordered the Axim x51v. Can anyone recommend a good software package that will convert a DVD to Pocket PC for viewing? Specifically smooth play-back and the ability to watch with the x51v in the horizontal position?

Looking forward to playing with my new toy :-)

Nurhisham Hussein
12-29-2005, 03:02 AM
The x51v has a landscape mode, so you don't need to specifically rotate your media beforehand. For that matter TCPMP, which you should check out if you haven't already, automatically rotates media to landscape in full screen so you don't have to change the screen orientation at all. You'll have problems with WMP in that it will not scale media - this gets really annoying with VGA screens as screen space gets wasted. More to the point, TCPMP makes full use of the X51v's graphics processor, which means you can get really high bitstream video to play on your PDA (and I mean PC quality stuff).

As for encoding options, it depends on how much effort you want to put in. If you want one-click conversion, there are a couple of commercial programs that will do the job. I'm afraid I can't give you details or recommendations because I've never used them. For DVD conversion, I've always used either Fairuse or PocketDivxEncoder - both are freeware. They require a bit more hand-holding and take a bit longer, but I feel the quality is better (I like high quality video). The links are here:

Fairuse
http://www.fairusewizard.com/mambo/index.html

PocketDivxEncoder
http://divx.ppccool.com/

pocketpcadmirer
01-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, if you want to convert a dvd for viewing on ur ppc then it requires some extra steps.

Therefore I would recommend you the "dvd to pocket pc" app, which straight way converts the dvd to wmv format. IT also asks u for the settings for quality and quantity levels.

Sunny

beckp
01-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Well I've been doing some experimenting with trial versions, etc and found a .avi format much better than a .wmv. I've gone with a program called Pocket DVD Studio and TCPMP as the player.

pocketpcadmirer
01-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Well I've been doing some experimenting with trial versions, etc and found a .avi format much better than a .wmv. I've gone with a program called Pocket DVD Studio and TCPMP as the player.

Yes that would work too.

**suggestion, install the TCPMP in the ROM store. In case u undergo a hard-reset, you will still be able to view the movies

Sunny :D

rgribbons
01-12-2006, 03:36 PM
I am using DVD catlyst and it is excellent. Really fast and cheaper than the others and simple to use