View Full Version : Help Desperately Needed!!!!

piperpilot
12-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Got an Axim X51v for Christmas yesterday and cannot for the life of me get it to sync with Active Sync 4.1. I get an error message saying that there is a problem with the desktop. Been on the phone for 6 hours with Dell and Microsoft, and it has become apparent that neither has a clue what is wrong. Active Sync will sync my Notes and Favorites, but it will not sync calendar, contacts or tasks. I am running Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003 Small Business Edition on my Dell XPS desktop. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any solution?

P.S., I have been on the phone with Dell and Microsoft for about 6 hours now and no one seems to have a clue what the problem is. I am desperate!

Janak Parekh
12-26-2005, 09:02 PM
First, try "repairing" your Outlook/Office install. You can do this via Add/Remove Programs.

If you still get an error, tell us exactly what the error says.

--janak

piperpilot
12-26-2005, 10:17 PM
The problem seems to be Outlook 2003 small business edition. Installed ActiveSync 4.1 on a laptop running Office 2003 basic and it worked flawlessly. We have been on the phone with Microsoft for 8 hours trying to get this resolved. They have us reinstalling Outlook now. Will report back.

Janak Parekh
12-26-2005, 11:00 PM
The problem seems to be Outlook 2003 small business edition. Installed ActiveSync 4.1 on a laptop running Office 2003 basic and it worked flawlessly. We have been on the phone with Microsoft for 8 hours trying to get this resolved. They have us reinstalling Outlook now. Will report back.
Ah. :( Out of curiosity, does the SBE have Business Contact Manager or anything like it plugged in by default?

Please keep us updated - I can try to provide feedback to Microsoft as well if necessary. And, I hope you have a headset for that 8-hour phone call. ;)

--janak

piperpilot
12-27-2005, 06:06 AM
Ah. :( Out of curiosity, does the SBE have Business Contact Manager or anything like it plugged in by default?

Please keep us updated - I can try to provide feedback to Microsoft as well if necessary. And, I hope you have a headset for that 8-hour phone call. ;)

--janak

Well, removing Outlook and reinstalling it seems to have worked. I was finally able to sync, and it only took Microsoft 8-1/2 hours to figure it out. Not only did we not have a headset for the call, we were on a corded phone. Ughhhhhhh . . . very, very painful.

Janak, I think the business contact manager was installed, but we did not re-install it.

Janak Parekh
12-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Well, removing Outlook and reinstalling it seems to have worked.
That was going to be my second suggestion if the "repair" didn't fix it. :P I'm glad to hear you got it fixed, despite the painful process. I hope your ear has stopped throbbing...

Janak, I think the business contact manager was installed, but we did not re-install it.
OK. I don't know if it is the source of trouble or not, admittedly, it was just a random speculation on what might be different between Outlook 2003 SBE and "vanilla" Outlook 2003.

--janak