View Full Version : "Clone" Pocket PC?

Whisper
12-26-2005, 10:04 AM
As an HP user I am missing the fun element in reinstalling everything after the inevitable (a feature of all their models, it seems) frequent hard resets. I have been unable to find any software that backs up everything, data applications, settings the lot.

Does such a package exist and if not why not? Backing up the data is a good start but if you have more than a few appliations to reinstall and set up it takes hours out of your life.

Cheers.

PS are HP losing it or is it just the joy of owning MS based devices which makes the reset such a prominent feature of my PDA life?

MarcFou
12-26-2005, 10:50 AM
PS are HP losing it or is it just the joy of owning MS based devices which makes the reset such a prominent feature of my PDA life?HP lost it a while back. Keep in mind MS distributes the OS to venders like HP & Dell. They in turn create their ROM images with drivers and proprietary junk added in.

Anyway... Back to the original question. If your using WM2003 then you can try SPB Clone: http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/clone/?en

If your using WM5 then try this... http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45156

If your using WM5 you'll have to wait a while for a backup\cloning solution. I've been in contact with SPB and the current beta version of SPB Clone is not WM5 compatible with no plans of making it so for final release. Sad really.

Whisper
12-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks for that, I'll check out SBPclone.

I'm not going near WM 5 for at least a year, I reckon it will take that long to get it even close to working properly. I don't really understand what it could give me over 2003 that will make my life any better but I'm sure all the fun of being a beta tester (yeah, sure its a fully tested debugged production version, MS wouldn't lie to us poor users about a thing like that...) is well worth missing.

Cheers.

Whisper
12-26-2005, 11:12 AM
HOW MUCH!!!!!!

Okay, does anybody know an AFFORDABLE way of cloning my pocket PC. Thanks SBP but $299 is a little steep for what to me is just a means of backing up my device.

So HP have lost it, who has won it? Bearing in mind that not many manufacturers make anything with 128MB RAM

MarcFou
12-26-2005, 11:23 AM
I never noticed the price. I was offered a free copy of it and passed it up. If I knew it was 300 bucks I would have grabbed it.

Anyway. Check out Handango. There are many affordable solutions.
http://www.handango.com/SoftwareCatalog.jsp?jid=EX6E4D2487C917A78C5123E8BC314XB2&platformId=2&siteId=1&addDevices=add&N=96806&Ntt=backup&Ntk=All&Nty=1

Cybrid
12-26-2005, 12:33 PM
As an HP user I am missing the fun element in reinstalling everything after the inevitable (a feature of all their models, it seems) frequent hard resets. I have been unable to find any software that backs up everything, data applications, settings the lot.

Does such a package exist and if not why not? Backing up the data is a good start but if you have more than a few appliations to reinstall and set up it takes hours out of your life.

Cheers.

PS are HP losing it or is it just the joy of owning MS based devices which makes the reset such a prominent feature of my PDA life?
www.spritesoftware.com

Whisper
12-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks for that but I've already checked out Sprite. Not clear from their website whether it backs up applications or just the data stuff.

However, it is installed on ipaqs as ipaq backup but I've not tried it until now as most stuff that comes bundled with things is not worth having or they'd be able to sell it for money.

As it happens iPaq backup is more than dodgy. I backed up my 5550 and tried to restore to my 2750 and now the 2750 won't start at all. Ho hum, I knew I shouldn't have but you know how it is. Hoping that if I leave the battery out for a week or so it will sort itself.

So, Sprite is out of the equation as I should have realised from their website. They're heavy on the how wonderful it is puff and very light on the what it actually does or doesn't do detail, always a good sign to stay well away.

Cheers for your help, though.

MarcFou
12-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Whether you use a backup program such as Sprite or any imaging software your going to have the same problem.

Both of your iPaqs are different models. So each one has specific drivers and registry entries such as Device ID, Hardware information, Drivers etc.

You can backup and restore the following data from one device to another without any problems: Contacts, Email, Tasks + Calendar, My Documents.

When using Sprite (HP issued) view the advanced Options to specify what to backup.

The current back up you have is useable. Rather than waiting for the battery to go dead just do a hard reset. Restore your data from the backup file in advanced mode and only restore what I mentioned above.

Cybrid
12-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks for that but I've already checked out Sprite. Not clear from their website whether it backs up applications or just the data stuff.

However, it is installed on ipaqs as ipaq backup but I've not tried it until now as most stuff that comes bundled with things is not worth having or they'd be able to sell it for money.

As it happens iPaq backup is more than dodgy. I backed up my 5550 and tried to restore to my 2750 and now the 2750 won't start at all. Ho hum, I knew I shouldn't have but you know how it is. Hoping that if I leave the battery out for a week or so it will sort itself.

So, Sprite is out of the equation as I should have realised from their website. They're heavy on the how wonderful it is puff and very light on the what it actually does or doesn't do detail, always a good sign to stay well away.

Cheers for your help, though.Yes the OEM version isn't perfect but the full retail version is amazing.

http://spritesoftware.crmdesk.com/answer.aspx?id=63&back=browse.aspx%23p17

Our ROM upgrade capability is the first time cross ROM/Devices Restore has been available in the Backup/Restore market. Below are the steps for ensuring a safe restore after your ROM upgrade;

MarcFou
12-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Thats a great benefit to the full version and the upgrade for OEM users is only $10. Thanks for the tip!

pocketpcadmirer
12-26-2005, 01:51 PM
I mean..what 5555 has differnent version of win mobile os..heck even i tried it..i tried restoring my mini with my old 2215 backup..guess what it locked up..had to a hard reset

Sunny

uwaku
12-26-2005, 04:13 PM
As it happens iPaq backup is more than dodgy. I backed up my 5550 and tried to restore to my 2750 and now the 2750 won't start at all.

iPaq backup works just fine to restore both apps AND settings, as long as you're using it for what it was designed: backup and restore on the SAME device.

If you've ever used DriveImage, Norton Ghost, or a similar backup program to clone your computer's hard drive, you might have noticed that it works just fine if you restore it on the same motherboard with the same cards, but copying it to a different computer with different components for some reason just doesn't seem to work.

That being said, since SPB's program IS iPaq Backup, it'll work for what it was designed. If you're looking for a program that'll take ALL your apps, settings, and tweaks from one PPC and install them flawlessly on a different model, you're searching in vain. Such a program doesn't - and can't - exist. Sorry.

Cybrid
12-26-2005, 10:00 PM
iPaq backup works just fine to restore both apps AND settings, as long as you're using it for what it was designed: backup and restore on the SAME device.

If you've ever used DriveImage, Norton Ghost, or a similar backup program to clone your computer's hard drive, you might have noticed that it works just fine if you restore it on the same motherboard with the same cards, but copying it to a different computer with different components for some reason just doesn't seem to work.

That being said, since SPB's program IS iPaq Backup, it'll work for what it was designed. If you're looking for a program that'll take ALL your apps, settings, and tweaks from one PPC and install them flawlessly on a different model, you're searching in vain. Such a program doesn't - and can't - exist. Sorry.Sprite is the maker of Ipaq Backup. Not SPB.
And believe it or not, Sprite can backup/restore in a limited way cross platforms.....
It does this by excluding device specific data. read my post about "device upgrade mode" .

BukTop
01-08-2006, 11:38 AM
HOW MUCH!!!!!!
Thanks SBP but $299 is a little steep for what to me is just a means of backing up my device.

The point is that Spb Clone is an enterprise solution designed for creating a lot of clones of a given device. It seems that Spb Backup can suit your needs more. The product is in beta stage now, but you can subscribe to beta program here:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/support/beta.php?en