View Full Version : retrieve pop mail with outlook not messaging is it possible?

dave909
12-23-2005, 12:57 AM
I'm a new PPC user with an HP HW6515. My main goal was to be able to receive email wirelessly while on the road. I'll be away from my workstation this summer for about 3 weeks. My idea was to retrieve email via Cingular's wireless data plan into Outlook on the PPC, then when I return sync with the desktop and let the sync delete the emails I deleted on the road from the desktop Outlook during sync. I cannot find how to have Outlook on the PPC retrieve email, so I end up with duplicate emails in the PPC email client and PPC Outlook and the two aren't connected. There isn't a setting in the PPC email client to delete from the server after retrieving but even if I do this, when I return I won't have a way to get the emails into Outlook. Is there a way around this?

rawb
12-23-2005, 03:21 AM
Interestingly I've been trying to do what you are doing by playing around with Npop email software. Its basically an email client on your ppc that can do everything your outlook on your desktop can.

http://www.npopsupport.fsworld.co.uk/

But I haven't figured out how the settings exactly work yet. I can download and supposedly update all my email directly from my ppc. So far I've just got the download part. Too busy to fully test it out for the moment but you can give it a try.

Its pretty stable and pretty small. my 500+ emails are only 1mb and its nice to carry around all your email for reference.

I use a Qtek 9100 WM5 so its WM5 compliant.

Cybrid
12-23-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm a new PPC user with an HP HW6515. My main goal was to be able to receive email wirelessly while on the road. I'll be away from my workstation this summer for about 3 weeks. My idea was to retrieve email via Cingular's wireless data plan into Outlook on the PPC, then when I return sync with the desktop and let the sync delete the emails I deleted on the road from the desktop Outlook during sync. I cannot find how to have Outlook on the PPC retrieve email, so I end up with duplicate emails in the PPC email client and PPC Outlook and the two aren't connected. There isn't a setting in the PPC email client to delete from the server after retrieving but even if I do this, when I return I won't have a way to get the emails into Outlook. Is there a way around this?
AFAIK there is no way to syncronize the two other than Activesync.
I can assist you with the POP settings and you can really only delete the emails you are sure you don't want and after the three weeks re-download the emails you want into Desktop.

dave909
12-24-2005, 06:09 AM
Interestingly I've been trying to do what you are doing by playing around with Npop email software. Its basically an email client on your ppc that can do everything your outlook on your desktop can.

What a great idea! I've used npop before but after working with Palm since the original Palm Pilot and only a day on Windows Mobile that thought never crossed my mind. I didn't know they had the version for the handheld, downloaded it and copied it to my SD card and it works like a champ. You're right about sending, it wasn't as clear cut as downloading. Thank you for responding.

dave909
12-24-2005, 06:17 AM
AFAIK there is no way to syncronize the two other than Activesync.

Thanks for confirming that. I had just assumed that Outlook would handle that.

dave909
01-12-2006, 02:45 PM
fyi, I found out by accident this morning that in the PPC email client, if you delete an email, then empty your deleted items, then send/receive, it does delete them from the server.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Nice find Dave, that's something to remember and spread the word about.