View Full Version : Which VGA 50v, 51v or 4705

jbachandouris
12-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Which one should I choose? I don't really have the money, but credit is a wonderful thing. Now...how long could I hide it from the wife?

I tried using a non VGA PDA, it just ain't gonna work! Its like going from Porche to Porch!

mcmuddle
12-22-2005, 11:09 PM
X51V and it must remain hidden for a minimum of 2 weeks in order to use the "What? That old thing?" response.

jbachandouris
12-22-2005, 11:12 PM
X51V and it must remain hidden for a minimum of 2 weeks in order to use the "What? That old thing?" response.

funny

I love Paypal buyer credit...no payments for 3 months, maybe by then I'll have the money.

AndyH
12-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Another vote for the x51v.

I love this device even though there are a few concerns with WM5 but I am hopeful in the next two weeks there should be another ROM update that should fix most issues.

andy

jbachandouris
12-22-2005, 11:54 PM
better than the 4705?

ADBrown
12-23-2005, 12:22 AM
better than the 4705?

VASTLY better. The 4705... just don't. X51v all the way.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-23-2005, 12:52 AM
Any particular reason you've ruled out the others, like the Asus, Fujitsu-Siemens, and Toshiba?

Ripper014
12-23-2005, 01:03 AM
The Asus like the Axim lack battery power... the Hp 4700 is a nice device but the touchpad could be a make break item plus none of these have USB host capabilities. The Toshiba is no longer in the active market... and is no longer supported. Now................. the Loox... this unit has it all... but it is not sold in the US directly.

If you asked me which I would like all things being equal... without question it would be the Loox 720...

Nurhisham Hussein
12-23-2005, 01:07 AM
You said it, mate. But as jbachandouris said, budget is an issue, so I'm wondering what criteria he's using - if price is the main constraint, then the Dell or the Toshiba are the obvoius choices.

jbachandouris
12-23-2005, 01:09 AM
Budget is an issue, but the screen HAS to be nice. Is the 51v better than the 4705 screenwise?

CookieKid
12-23-2005, 01:49 AM
it has a larger screen but if I recall correctly, the colors are more washed out on the 4705.

jbachandouris
12-23-2005, 01:51 AM
it has a larger screen but if I recall correctly, the colors are more washed out on the 4705.

really? I though that was the 4705's problem

Nurhisham Hussein
12-23-2005, 02:47 AM
No, as far as colors are concerned, the Dell's screen is the one with washed out colours.

CookieKid
12-23-2005, 03:00 AM
No, as far as colors are concerned, the Dell's screen is the one with washed out colours.

Oops...I got that flipped. :lol:
Thanks for the correction.

jbachandouris
12-23-2005, 03:57 AM
Hopfully that problem has been dealt with in the 51v since I just won a new one on eBay this evening.

624Mhz, VGA, 256MB, wifi, and bluetooth? for about $340 (including shipping)? You can't beat it.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-23-2005, 04:07 AM
It's been partly addressed - I believe Dell changed the display manufacturer for the later runs of the x50v, and should be the same for the x51v. FWIW, at that price, you're right, that's a pretty good deal. Enjoy your new toy!!

SteveHoward999
12-23-2005, 05:49 AM
Hopfully that problem has been dealt with in the 51v since I just won a new one on eBay this evening.

624Mhz, VGA, 256MB, wifi, and bluetooth? for about $340 (including shipping)? You can't beat it.

Obviously you wanted the latest, but you can pick up brand new E800s for less than $250 if you want VGA on a budget.

ADBrown
12-23-2005, 06:33 AM

The "problem" is greatly exaggerated. Even with my original first-run X50v, you could barely notice a difference between the 4700 and the Axim.

whydidnt
12-23-2005, 05:42 PM
The "problem" is greatly exaggerated. Even with my original first-run X50v, you could barely notice a difference between the 4700 and the Axim.

I think that in itself is a matter of opinion. I noticed a huge difference the two devices. The HX4705 colors were way better to me.

Sounds like the decision has been made, and each user has to decide for themselves, but to me these are the things that could make you chose one of these over the other:

HP - Larger Screen, better color saturation, significantly better battery life, Touch Pad (pro or con?) Thinner, but wider and longer - Magnesium case instead of plastic - better looking (my opinion)

Dell - Less Expensive (though you can find 4705 for around $450 these days, better GPU, smaller & lighter. Seemingly better support from Dell these days.

Both are very good devices, but I don't think you can say one is better than the other. It really depends on your tastes and budget. If I hadn't already bought both the X50v and 4700, I probably would have imported the Loox 720 and who knows, maybe that would have been my favorite. :D

Nurhisham Hussein
12-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Great reply, whydidnt - the best device for any person, is the one that fits their needs the best. For me that's the Loox, for others it's the Axim or the iPaq. What makes this debate truly ironic and funny is that, except for the new Acers and the older Toshibas, all the current VGA devices are made by one company. :wink:

ADBrown
12-23-2005, 10:42 PM
significantly better battery life

Not that much better than the X51v. WM5 extends battery life on the X51v by about 35%.

Touch Pad (pro or con?)

Con. That thing is useless, and so are the buttons.

If I hadn't already bought both the X50v and 4700, I probably would have imported the Loox 720 and who knows, maybe that would have been my favorite. :D

Maybe, but you wouldn't have gotten WM5.

mcmuddle
12-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Whichever device is chosen, still unaddressed is his second stated, but primary concern: How does he keep his bits out of a vice? :lol:

SteveHoward999
12-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Whichever device is chosen, still unaddressed is his second stated, but primary concern: How does he keep his bits out of a vice? :lol:

He should do exactly what his wife would do in similar cirumstances - LIE! Tell her it only cost $112.75 on eBay - and that was WITH posage. Why so cheap? It's last years model!

;-)

whydidnt
12-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Not that much better than the X51v. WM5 extends battery life on the X51v by about 35%.

WOW, are there any benchmarks posted to confirm this? Of course, when the WM5 upgrade is available for the HP the difference will return.

Con. That thing is useless, and so are the buttons.
That is a matter of opinion. I actually like it, and have no problem with the buttons. I know others who hate it, but I don't think it should be posted as a "fact" that it's useless.

Maybe, but you wouldn't have gotten WM5.

Based upon my experience so far with WM5, I don't really see that as a drawback, maybe more of a benefit. I'm hopefully that WM5.1 fixes what WM5 broke.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-24-2005, 01:39 PM
WOW, are there any benchmarks posted to confirm this? Of course, when the WM5 upgrade is available for the HP the difference will return.

Nothing magical about it - under previous OSs, Microsoft required a 72hr reserved standby time before the battery went completely flat to ensure that there was a chance you could recover your data. The typical scenario was leaving your charger at the office over the weekend, with no chance to get it until Monday. Now with persistant storage, that rule has been relaxed, so you get that to use that 72 hour reserve as part of your normal battery power. In effect nothing has changed, just a previously hidden available battery charge is now visible to you under WM5.0.

ADBrown
12-24-2005, 07:00 PM

Well, allow me to correct myself--around 25 to 35%, in most cases. There's a complete set of comparative tests between the X50v running 2003SE and the X51v running WM5 here:

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2670

And the WM5 upgrade won't be available for HP for several months at least, if then.

That is a matter of opinion. I actually like it, and have no problem with the buttons. I know others who hate it, but I don't think it should be posted as a "fact" that it's useless.

Meh. I have yet to see more than one or two people who consider it worthwhile. Everyone else whose opinion I've seen agrees with me that the touchpad is unwieldy, unuseful, and a general pain in the rear.

Based upon my experience so far with WM5, I don't really see that as a drawback, maybe more of a benefit. I'm hopefully that WM5.1 fixes what WM5 broke.

There are times when I'd swear I'm the only person who's had a good experience with WM5. It's faster than 2003SE, provides longer battery life, better built in apps, and one-handed navigation. There's only one or two applications which I'd like to run which don't work.

jbachandouris
12-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Apparently the wife doesn't seem to care about the PDA issue. I guess she realizes that paying for it is MY problem. She won't be able to work for a while since shes having our 2nd child, so its all on me.

Update: Still don't have my Axim 51v yet (holiday delayed shipping). It should arrive tomorrow...I hope. Very cool!

chefz
01-03-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't really have the money, but credit is a wonderful thing.

:lol: That's exactly how I finally was able to upgrade to the x50v - thank goodness for Dell Financial Services! I got mine refurbished from the Dell Outlet for a great price and absolutely love it! :way to go: