View Full Version : Using handheld email

Lessa
12-22-2005, 12:40 AM
I've been trying to set up the email on the Axim(51v). I've got the internet connection (can browse) and I've copied all the setting for incoming and outgoing from my mail program. I can get it to connect once and pull email to me. But after that first time it either hangs up or gives me a message that messages can not be downloaded and I should check my settings. When it has hung up I can't do anything but a soft reset to get it back to earth. I've deleted the account several times and started over several times and still get this behavior.

Suggestions, ideas? Thanks.

Darius Wey
12-22-2005, 04:22 AM
Let's start by looking at the account in question - is it POP-based or IMAP-based?

Lessa
12-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi Darius,
It is POP. Here is what I've taken from my preferences from my mail program:

Incoming mail server: pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

Outgoing mail server SMTP: smpt:sbcglobal.yahoo.com:[email protected]

I can get email now but cant seem to send.

Thanks

nitestrike
12-22-2005, 10:23 AM
Lessa,

From a basic stand point from what I was able to find and what Darius has asked I would suggest the following. I have provided some links to SBC's help center pertaining to e-mail setup. I am also assuming you are using Pocket Outlook for your e-mail.

Verify that the SMTP server is
smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

Click the "Options" button
Click the "Next" button
Verify that you have "outgoing mail requires authentication" checked
Click the "Next" and then "Finish"
Now try sending an e-mail

SBC Global E-mail Setup Help (http://help.sbcglobal.net/results.php?all=0&category=10)
SBC Global E-mail Settings (http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=285)
SBC Global E-mail Servers (http://help.sbcglobal.net/article.php?item=287)

nitestrike
12-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Lessa,

I do apologize, after re-reading the post I saw that this was for a x51. I still would verify the SMTP server was set to what I mentioned earlier, and to make sure to authenticate to the outgoing e-mail server (SMTP). But I have no access to WM5 device and cannot verify that the steps I provided are precise or even correct.

Darius Wey
12-24-2005, 06:31 AM
I do apologize, after re-reading the post I saw that this was for a x51. I still would verify the SMTP server was set to what I mentioned earlier, and to make sure to authenticate to the outgoing e-mail server (SMTP). But I have no access to WM5 device and cannot verify that the steps I provided are precise or even correct.

Windows Mobile 5.0 follows a very similar setup, so the aforementioned suggestions should work.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-24-2005, 11:57 AM

Is that correct, or a typo?

Janak Parekh
12-25-2005, 06:42 AM

Is that correct, or a typo?
Actually, I think the whole thing is kind of a typo. :)

From what's up there, it looks like the SMTP server is "smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com", and the rest is part of the authentication. Lessa, you should try just that shorter string. And make sure you don't transpose the T and the P. :)

--janak

Patrick Y.
12-26-2005, 07:13 AM
I have sbcglobal yahoo too. I believe the outgoing server (smtp) should ONLY be "smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" as nitestrike said. This worked fine for me. Also, the mail software on WM 5 and SE should be very similar.

Lessa
12-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Hi Guys,
The mail strings are correct in the unit, I just can't type here. The trick was the authentication on sending messages! Once I checked that and got the passwork set up, I was golden! Thanks for the help, on to instant messaging to see how that works!

Lessa