View Full Version : New Pocket PC for my mom

OSUKid7
12-21-2005, 10:11 PM
My mom is a professor of nursing, and wants a new Pocket PC. She's been using my old Compaq iPAQ H3650 for the last few years, but it's finally dying. (Battery won't hold a charge, stylus falls out [known problem], and it's running PPC 2000).

Mainly, she'll be using nursing textbook applications and general PIM functions. She isn't wild about wireless, but I think she would use Wi-Fi if her device had it, since we have Wi-Fi access at home and at her college.

I've primarily looked at higher-end HP and Dell devices, but my mom is trying to stay under $300 for her new PDA. Thanks for all suggestions.

Cybrid
12-21-2005, 10:22 PM
My mom is a professor of nursing, and wants a new Pocket PC. She's been using my old Compaq iPAQ H3650 for the last few years, but it's finally dying. (Battery won't hold a charge, stylus falls out [known problem], and it's running PPC 2000).

Mainly, she'll be using nursing textbook applications and general PIM functions. She isn't wild about wireless, but I think she would use Wi-Fi if her device had it, since we have Wi-Fi access at home and at her college.

I've primarily looked at higher-end HP and Dell devices, but my mom is trying to stay under $300 for her new PDA. Thanks for all suggestions. If new with warranty is not too great of an issue, you could probably find many HP 4150's on Ebay. The small, WiFi included machine seems to be a very well designed device.
You might also catch one of Dell's sales and grab an X50....I have the X50V and it is wonderful if and only if you have a spare battery

Darius Wey
12-22-2005, 04:18 AM
I have a few medical textbook applications on my X50v and it looks great on the VGA screen, so if you manage to scoop up an X50v/X51v for cheap, I'd say go for it. If not, a mid-range X50/X51 would still work great.

Ripper014
12-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks to Gerard... over at Brighthand... here is a link to a seller that has a number of Toshiba e800's, though an older device I think it is probably the best deal available for something under $300.

It is a VGA device ideal for reading text... and it also looks like it comes with the presentation pack that allows you both a usb port and the ability to export video. Unfortunately it only has build-in BT so if you want Wifi you would need a seperate card. All in all a good deal for $274 if you don't mind purchasing from eBay.

Oh I almost forgot the link...

http://search.stores.ebay.com/DigiGood_e800_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZDigiGoodQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQsaselZ55627949QQsofpZ0

pocketpcadmirer
12-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Also try the second hand hx4700..big screen and easy on the eyes too 8O

Sunny

OSUKid7
12-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'm leaning towards recommending getting an Axim 51v on eBay, simply because the price is so great. I had no idea you could get that PDA, which I consider top-of-the-line, for around $300 on eBay now.

She does want a fairly small device though, in terms of screen size. I know that seems to contradict using the device for reading books, but in this case, I think screen size is more important.

So maybe we'll go to a retail store and I'll show her an Axim 50/51 sometime this week to see if the size is okay, then hopefully we'll order it online. :)

OSUKid7
12-29-2005, 01:52 AM
Also try the second hand hx4700..big screen and easy on the eyes too 8O
Well Sunny, as funny as your post sounded to me originally, that's what we did. :lol: After looking at the Axim X51v online, my mom really liked the features of my iPAQ hx4705 better. So we're both benefiting from this - I'm selling my mom my old hx4705 for much less than she would get it for online, and I bought myself a new Axim X51v. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5847146008) :D I also ordered myself a Sena case (http://www.senacases.com/cart/product.php?productid=1616072&cat=313&page=1) (with PPCT Subscriber discount ;)) and will be ordering screen protectors from Pocket PC Techs once I hear back about a question query I submitted today.

I guess you can say my mom had VGA envy...she really only considered the Axim X51v and the iPAQ hx4705 since the screen quality is so much better than my two older iPAQs. Looks like it worked out well for both of us. :) Thanks again for the advice everyone.

pocketpcadmirer
12-31-2005, 10:12 AM
ehh..thanks for the compliment..but what was 'so' funny in my post :?:

Sunny

OSUKid7
12-31-2005, 05:10 PM
ehh..thanks for the compliment..but what was 'so' funny in my post :?:
I had just never thought seriously about handing down my beloved hx4705 to my mom. It was still working quite well for me, and I thought it was a larger device than she wanted. I mentioned that, though, and she seemed to like my hx4705 better than the features of the Axim.