View Full Version : Transcend 4 GB SD Card Incompatible With HP iPAQ and Dell Axim

Len M.
12-19-2005, 05:56 PM
A caution to those who want to use the new 4 GB SD cards in their PDAs:

Transcend USA product support says that their 4 GB SD card is not compatible with the Dell Axim X50v, HP iPAQ h2215/h5150/h5550 and many other PDAs.

bmhome1
12-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I have a Transcend 2GB 150X SD in my 5550 that really flies and had been planning on getting the 4GB 150X SD model this week. The Wikipedia 1.8GB encyclopedia with images on TomeRaider 3 running from the 150X Transcend is amazingly responsive.

All other web posted comments on the Transcend 4GB SD incompatibility I had assumed simply involved confusion over its FAT32 format, but not from the SD card controller in the iPaq having problems with more than 2GB sizes.

Wonder if other brands such as A-Data 150X 4GB SD cards have similar issue?

whydidnt
12-20-2005, 01:22 AM
Wonder if other brands such as A-Data 150X 4GB SD cards have similar issue?

I've just tested the A-Data 4 GB SD card with, the IPAQ 4700, Axim X50v, Samsung i730 and i-mate JasJar with no problems. Seems to be an issue directly with the the Transcend model, which is surprising to me, since I thought all of these "off-brand" cards where made by the same OEM and just re-branded with the non-generic name.

bmhome1
12-20-2005, 03:14 AM
I could see the 5550's SD interface predating 4GB support (although smaller FAT32 formatted 2GB SD cards work fine) but hardly the current x50v not working with 4GB SD cards.

Its nice to hear the A-Data DOES work with the x50v, maybe its an issue with the SLC (vs MLC) layer flash used in the Transcend.

Len,

I know you had great success originally with the Transcend 150X 4GB SD in a x50v with the Core Audio system giving fastest writes ever from the news report on your site in October. Did the card initially work well and eventually failed? Was it always formatted as FAT32 or as two 2GB partitions as FAT16 for maximum writing speed for the digital audio? Did they say there are actual design issues within the SD1.0 specs and >2GB SD cards or just with their specific card's architechture design?

Thanks, I'm sure there's many who are interested in the details.

Duncan
12-20-2005, 10:26 AM
It's worth pointing out that Transcend also say that the 4GB 150x SD card isn't compatible with the Loox 720 either - yet I've been using one happily for a little while now.

I suspect they are simply only confirming compatibilty where it has been directly tested.

Don't Panic!
12-20-2005, 03:22 PM
I use the Transcend 150X 4GB SD card on my X50v, JasJar, and Samsung SCH i730 without ant problems. That's two WM2003SE and one WM5 device. I wonder why they made that crazy statement? Was that info in a personal communication Len? I just checked their compatibility list (http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/FAQ/index.asp?axn=Detail&LangNo=0&FAQNo=400) and while those devices aren't mentioned they are not specifically excluded either.

Len M.
12-20-2005, 11:37 PM
When we first received the Transcend 4 GB SD card, we ran benchmarks on it in a Dell X50v. It seemed to work great. Lately though, during PDAudio recording we've had halting problems. It would record fine for an hour or so, but then suddenly stop with no apparent reason.

Thinking it was a defective card, we called Transcend USA for an RMA number, so we could return it to them. Rahul in Tech Support (714-921-2000, x520) told us that the 4 GB SD card is not compatible with the X50v and the other PDAs I mentioned in the previous post, and that one symptom of the incompatibility is that it may work sometimes but not all.

We're not yet convinced that we don't have a defective card, because we're seeing the same problem with the card when used in our PCs too (using a Lexar card reader in a desktop Win 98SE PC and the PCMCIA slot in an HP Laptop running XP SP1). In both situations Scandisk halts with errors. Rahul said that our PC's card reader and the laptop PCMCIA slot might also not be compatible with the card, so he suggested that we buy Transcend's new TS-RD13B card reader and test it with that. We've ordered the new card reader and will continue testing the card. I'll post updates here as they become available.

In response to the other questions:

We formatted the card to a variety of formats (FAT32 with clusters from 4 Kb to 64 Kb) using Softwinter's Storage Tool application -- highly recommended. We had the same problems with all of them.

We've also formatted it with a PC card reader using Window's own disk formatting application.

We've never formatted it as two 2 GB partitions.

Duncan
12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Thinking it was a defective card, we called Transcend USA for an RMA number, so we could return it to them. Rahul in Tech Support (714-921-2000, x520) told us that the 4 GB SD card is not compatible with the X50v and the other PDAs I mentioned in the previous post, and that one symptom of the incompatibility is that it may work sometimes but not all.

We're not yet convinced that we don't have a defective card, because we seeing the same problem with the card whem used in our XP PCs too (using a Lexar card reader in a desktop Win 98SE PC and the PCMCIA slot in an HP Laptop running XP SP1).

I've been using it for a while - and not a single issue. I'd say with two of us not having a problem, and the fact that there is no obvious reason for any such issue (particularly when it clearly is known by Transecend to work for other PPCs), I'd say that Rahul is making assumptions or excuses.

Looking at your experience - your card did work fine - how likely is it that an incompatibility would not be there - and then be there after time? A defective card is far more likely an explanation.

Len M.
12-21-2005, 12:21 AM
A defective card is far more likely an explanation.

I agree but Rahul at Transcend doesn't. And it's up to him to issue the RMA if he feels the card is defective.

As it stands, Transcend says that their card is not compatible with many common and currrent PDAs. You'd think that they'd want to sell the card to owners of those PDAs, no?

Until we hear differently from Transcend, we're going to trust their judgement on the matter.

bmhome1
12-21-2005, 02:43 AM
I received a response from Rahul at Transcend stating that the iPaq 5550 has "design limitations" preventing using SD cards higher than 2GB.

I'd be interested in the reasons given for all the remaining more current PDA's not working with their 4GB SD. Is it as simple as the SD1.0 spec interface unstable running FAT32 instead of FAT16? The newest SD based DSLR's have no problems using 4GB SD cards.

I recall recently a post from a representative from ATP brand flash memory implying that the current crop of HS 4GB SD cards aren't yet stable enough and were rushed to market and hinted that essentially that they wouldn't be doing the same and am taking more time. So is it the PPC's or the cards themselves? There should be a simple and direct compatibility roadmap somewhere to follow.

disconnected
12-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Maybe it's more of a quality control issue. I just got a 2gb Transcend SD card, and it wasn't recognized by my iPAQ 4700, my husband's iPAQ rx3700, or my Toshiba laptop (although the card reader attached to the desktop had no problem with it). I returned it to Newegg, and bought a Corsair card at Microcenter; it was a little more expensive, but so far it's working fine. I had originally intended to get the 4gb Transcend, but got the 2gb because I thought it would be more likely to work in the iPAQ -- so much for that theory.

Dyvim
12-22-2005, 01:47 PM
This link is interesting - shows compatibility for many devices.

http://www.meritline.com/transcend-memory-card-compatibility-list.html

Alas, my e830 and 5555 are both listed as maxing out at 2 GB. And I had been dreaming of getting a 4 GB card soon...

Scarpad
12-22-2005, 04:29 PM
I take it then the the 4GB would'nt work on the 51V or the Axim x30

bmhome1
12-23-2005, 12:23 AM
While web researching on the Transcend 4GB SD I found a Treo 650 user reporting instant functioning and having no issues with one after applying a FAT32 patch for Palms, even though the Meritline listing shows it maxing out at 2GB as do so many other PDA's. Sure wish there was more information to be found and some tech details behind the supposed limitations explained, especially when one seemingly works at least initially.

Dyvim
01-05-2006, 11:24 PM
I am happy to report that the Transcend 150x 4GB SD card works on my Toshiba e830. It even works on my iPAQ 5555.

Sweet! :D

Note that the following link suggests that it wouldn't work on the e830.

http://www.meritline.com/transcend-memory-card-compatibility-list.html

This link however suggests that it would work with the e830 (from a website in a country where the e830 was actually sold, unlike the USA).

http://www.bluetrade.fr/produit.php?id=6747

bmhome1
01-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the 5555 confirmation, that's enough to pull the trigger on one.

I'll always keep a full backup of the card's contents (about 3GB including 2GB Wikkipedia encyclopedia) just in case. Especially so with PIE's cache even located to it.

Dyvim
01-06-2006, 02:32 AM
It also works on the ETEN M600

bmhome1
01-06-2006, 08:05 PM
For those brave enough to try one, here's the best price on the Transcend 4GB 150X SD currently, or any 4GB SD actually ($209 after rebate):

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail~dpno~601848~Action~Detail.asp

Mine arrives next week and will report back after stressing it out in the 5550.

pocketpcadmirer
01-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey thanks !! I was just going to buy a 4gb sd for my magician.

Sunny

pocketpcadmirer
01-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Looking forward for 1gb one 8)

Sunny

bmhome1
01-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Got the 4GB 150X Transcend SD card today, and as I expected it works without any issues at all straight out of the blister pack with my 5550, despite the warnings from Transcend to the contrary.

As default formatted FAT32 512k clusters, no problems mounting on XP Pro Tablet OS using Panasonic SD>CF adaptor inside a Lexar CardBus CF>PCMCIA adaptor even. Copies 2.8GB of files to the card in under 20 minutes. No physical size thickness difference at all from standard SD cards.

Popped into iPaq and everything runs and REALLY fast. Only wimr gets a little confused with over 1GB folders showing as negative sizes.

Dyvim
01-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I am happy to report that the Transcend 150x 4GB SD card works on my Toshiba e830.
A note on the Transcend 150x 4GB SD card: it definitely doesn't seem to be as fast in my e830 as my SanDisk Ultra II 66x 2 GB SD card.

I was watching high bitrate divx movies on my e830 yesterday for a long flight, and when using the Transcend card, I had to overclock my device to 624 MHz in order to avoid dropped frames. The same movie when played from the SanDisk card has 0 dropped frames when my device is at its native 520 MHz speed.

I'm talking about movies encoded at 900-1000 kbps video + 96 kbps mp3 audio soundtrack, played back using the latest TCPMP.

Dyvim
01-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Copies 2.8GB of files to the card in under 20 minutes.

I have had success using the Transcend card with the SanDisk ImageMate 8-in-1 card reader. I copied 3.65 GB of files (card holds 3.72 GB) in maybe 12-14 minutes (this was 4 large files of approx .9 GB each). But this rate doesn't seem any faster than copying to SanDisk Ultra II 66x cards of various sizes, so I think I need a faster reader to truely take advantage of the Transcend card's 150x rate.

BTW, I have not altered the Transcend card's default formatting.

Constant Caffeine
01-17-2006, 08:34 PM
I found this on their website:

SD 150X 4GB Compatible list

http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/FAQ/index.asp?axn=Detail&FAQNo=400

DeBary_FL
01-25-2006, 06:04 AM
FWIW I've been using the Transcend 4GB SD card with an hx4705 and an H4150 (both iPAQs) for about 2 months with no problems whatever. I haven't run any speed tests, but movies and games (e.g., Virtual Pool) run fine from the card.
While the built-in card readers an my 2 laptops wouldn't recognize the card, it worked fine with 2 older USB card readers I had laying around.

Dyvim
01-25-2006, 01:43 PM
the built-in card readers an my 2 laptops wouldn't recognize the card

My HP laptops have the same problem. It's not the card's fault as these readers won't recognize any SD card larger than 1 GB. You know it's lame when the SD slot on PDA's that are older than the laptop works fine with 2 and 4 GB SD cards and your newer model laptop maxes out at 1 GB.

DeBary_FL
01-25-2006, 07:30 PM
the built-in card readers an my 2 laptops wouldn't recognize the card

My HP laptops have the same problem. It's not the card's fault as these readers won't recognize any SD card larger than 1 GB. You know it's lame when the SD slot on PDA's that are older than the laptop works fine with 2 and 4 GB SD cards and your newer model laptop maxes out at 1 GB.

The card reader on my Alienware Area-51m 7700 laptop, bought 10 months ago, will read my Transcend 2GB SD card but not the 4GB card. The reader in my Gateway M675XL laptop won't read either card. Since the 2 external USB card readers I've tried work fine with either SD card I suspect that a driver update would fix the problem with the built-in readers. Unfortunately no such driver update is available for either of my laptops.

Constant Caffeine
01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
At this point, I think I will stay away from Transcend. I emailed them twice last week asking them a pre-sale question regarding this card and its compatibility with my 4155. I have not heard anything from them and they only way they offer someone to ask a question is via email.

Not offering a direct means of contact is one thing, but if they cannot provide a simple answer before I buy, I cannot see them providing competent service with an issue that may arise.

I'll take my business dollars elsewhere.

DeBary_FL
01-25-2006, 08:21 PM
At this point, I think I will stay away from Transcend. I emailed them twice last week asking them a pre-sale question regarding this card and its compatibility with my 4155. I have not heard anything from them and they only way they offer someone to ask a question is via email.

Not offering a direct means of contact is one thing, but if they cannot provide a simple answer before I buy, I cannot see them providing competent service with an issue that may arise.

Just my 2¢, but I tend to think of memory cards as "throw away." I buy the cheapest available, and if they were to fail after a few months use I'd throw them away and buy another one. However, I've never had one fail. I have at least a dozen SD and CF cards laying around here, ranging from 64MB to 4 GB, and never had a single problem with any of them in my PPCs and digital cameras. As I said, just my 2¢. :)

bmhome1
01-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Actually, the choices in 4GB SD cards is limited to say the least. Transcend is probably as close to major brand and support as one will find. Their tech head answered my email within 12 hours. I suspect my and others lately encouraging people to go ahead and buy them has buried their resposne times.

Constant Caffeine
01-26-2006, 02:55 PM

Just my 2¢, but I tend to think of memory cards as "throw away." I buy the cheapest available, and if they were to fail after a few months use I'd throw them away and buy another one. However, I've never had one fail. I have at least a dozen SD and CF cards laying around here, ranging from 64MB to 4 GB, and never had a single problem with any of them in my PPCs and digital cameras. As I said, just my 2¢. :)

I completely understand what your saying. :)

It would be one thing if the card worked in a 4155, but they do not indicate whether it does or not. On their website the only HP they list as compatible is the 6515. Dyvim, indicated that it works with the 5555. Considering I would buy 12 initially, I cannot make a $2,400+ assumption. If I was buying this only for myself, I may be able to find another use for it if it did not work in my PDA. When it is my company purchasing them, I have to be a little more cautious. I did find a phone number on their website in the global section. :roll: They are in California, so I will call them later today to see if I can get an answer. I'll let you know what I find out.