View Full Version : PLEASE PPC EXPERTS help me choose the right PDA for my specific needs

cam05
12-19-2005, 05:24 AM
Hello everyone

I need to make a choice and I need to make this choice quickly

If I could please borrow your big juicy brains in helping me make my decision in purchasing the right PPC for me that would be much appreciated.

Firstly, I think its best to discuss my needs - what exactly I plan on using my PDA for (well these are the most important)

-GPS for my car: Definately very important!
-Outlook/Managing my PIM/E-mail (Not input mainly just viewing)
-Word Processing (mainly reading)
-iPOD Replacement: I hate carrying lots of gadgets, so it needs to be able to replace my ipod
-I want my PDA to be compact, and lite!

I have done lots of research to find the best PDA's and have concluded the following devices are at the top of their game:

-Dell Axim X51v - $779
-HP iPAQ hx2790 - $700-$800
-Asus A636 - $999 (w/GPS software, mounting equip.. the works)

The Axim offers VGA, I am trying to weigh how benneficial this will be for my word processing (mainly reading).. Obviously it will make quite a difference but is a deal maker?

A major problem arises with the first two: In order to make it GPS operational I will have to purchase a GPS reciever (must be BT) and the software which I guess would be around $500-$700 on top of the base price making it about $350 more expensive than the A636 which will come with all this plus mounting equipment etc.. (Although it comes with the crappy co-pilot software, which you guys have reviewed and didnt rate very highly).. which I dont mind paying if the other GPS software is much better than the CoPilot

Also the first two devices offer CF slot... which is good for my MP3 since I can get high capacity storage cheaply

The X51v and the hx2790 main differences are VGA for the x51v and much more memory for the 2790... how will this extra memory effect the 2790 performance? Is it that important?

Whats the best navigation software for Sydney? Why is this software so goddamn expensive?

I really wouldnt mind just getting the A636 since it just comes with everyone ready this is no mucking around plus its got pretty sweet specs...im very concerned about the software and its ergonomics...It appears to be very clunky

Im so lost so if you guys could help that would be much appreciated!

cam05
12-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Dammit!

I am also having second thoughts about the SP5!

cam05
12-21-2005, 05:06 AM
screw all you guys

not giving me any help

Darius Wey
12-21-2005, 07:21 AM
The Axim offers VGA, I am trying to weigh how benneficial this will be for my word processing (mainly reading).. Obviously it will make quite a difference but is a deal maker?

I think the VGA screen is well worth the money spent. Screenshots you see in reviews don't do it any justice - you have to see it in the flesh to believe it. At the end of the day, I think it'll benefit you greatly, given the multiple ways you intend in using your Pocket PC.

The X51v and the hx2790 main differences are VGA for the x51v and much more memory for the 2790... how will this extra memory effect the 2790 performance? Is it that important?

Not sure where you obtained your figures from, but the X51v actually contains more memory than the hx2790.

Axim X51v: 64MB RAM, 256MB ROM
iPAQ hx2790: 64MB RAM, 192MB ROM

Since both use Windows Mobile 5.0, the system will use the ROM as storage, so at the end of the day, you'll have more room on your X51v to store programs and data. Of course, if you're ever short of storage space, that's nothing a good memory card can't solve.

Whats the best navigation software for Sydney? Why is this software so goddamn expensive?

I've heard good things about Whereis Navigator, which has been developed specifically for use in Australia. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks great.

http://navigator.whereis.com/

As for why it's so expensive, I guess that's something you'll have to ask the developers. They set the prices to keep their service running. ;)

screw all you guys

not giving me any help

Be patient. It takes time to go through the forums and answer people's questions.

Anyway, if I were in your shoes, I'd go with the Axim X51v.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-21-2005, 07:51 AM
You might also want to have a look at the new Fujitsu Siemens N-series with integrated GPS, the top of the line model with all the trimmings is rumoured to be due out in March 2006.

screw all you guys

not giving me any help

That kind of attitude will almost guarantee that nobody else is going to respond to this thread. You also might want to give some thought next time to where you post your queries - there is a dedicated sub-forum for GPS here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21), where you're more likely to get a respond from someone who's familiar with GPS, rather than the Just chattin' forum :roll: BTW welcome to the forum.

pocketpcadmirer
12-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Well I would definately go in for X51V because it packs a lot bang for a buck(the reasons are same as aforementioned by uncle darius)

screw all you guys

not giving me any help

Very bad, please remove this post !!

Sunny :(

stevelam
12-21-2005, 12:51 PM
screw all you guys

not giving me any help

Tut tut. An answer like that will not get you any answers.

But I would be forced to agree with Darius and Sunny. An x51v would probably fit your needs best.

Steven Cedrone
12-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Very bad, please remove this post !!

Nah, we'll just leave it up as a reminder of how NOT to act when you need help. Moving to HOF&S...