View Full Version : South Korean Carriers To Standardize Connectors?

Janak Parekh
12-20-2005, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.teardown.com/tas/subscribers/comp_alert/2005_4Q/comp_alert_051212.aspx#CA051212-06' target='_blank'>http://www.teardown.com/tas/subscri...spx#CA051212-06</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Data cables and earphones, which differ from one handset manufacturer to another, are going to be standardized in South Korea. South Korea's three mobile communication service providers: SK Telecom, KTF and LG Telecom agreed on the external interface of cellular phones and signed a MOU (Memorandum of Understanding). Accordingly, reuse of cellular phone accessories such as earphone/microphones and data cables will be possible. Consumers who change handset models will not have to buy new accessories."</i><br /><br />Three words: <b>about freakin' time</b> someone does this. I have no clue if this will cover all phones, including Pocket PC phones, and whether it'll have any effect over here; that is, this standardization is unlikely to extend to our carriers, but could Korea-exported WM devices use these standard connectors? In any case, I can't tell you how many different cables, AC adapters, headsets, etc. I have in the closet for all the Windows Mobile devices and "dumb" cellphones I've owned over the years.

birick
12-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Actually they started this 2 or three years ago here in Korea. My LG PDA Phone, my Samsung phone, the wifes Motorola phone all use the same interface connector for sync or charge. It's very common to "borrow a charge" from someone at work or at a friends house. I carry one USB cable and a 110/220 USB power adapter, never have to worry about recharging or sync capability. For the past year or so most new phones are packed without a charger, you buy it seperately if you don't already have one. They do include a phone specific adapter for charging the spare battery since 99.9 % of all phones and PDA Phones come with 2 batteries.

alese
12-20-2005, 02:39 PM
This is very nice, if you are in Korea.

But the situation is changing globally too. HTC is standardizing on mini USB connector and I have Motorola HT820 stereo BT Headset, that also uses this connector.
Hopefully others will follow.

Jonathon Watkins
12-20-2005, 10:06 PM
HTC is standardizing on mini USB connector....

... which is great news. Hopefully others will follow suit. It's great being able to use one cable to do just about everything.