View Full Version : ?uestions about different streaming formats

q-live
12-15-2005, 09:59 AM
im trying to learn how which format of video is the best to stream at what times. Like i know .wmv is one of the smallest formats but the quality sux. How much bandwith does .swf streaming takes up and how does it matches the other formats like .avi and .mpeg????

Jason Dunn
12-15-2005, 09:50 PM
If you think WMV "sux" then you're already off on the wrong foot, because it can look GREAT or HORRIBLE depending on the resolution and bit rate - so in that way it's no different than any other video solution.

Go find an Xbox 360 and watch one of the 720p movie trailers, then tell me it "sux". At any rate, SWF is a popular format for streaming lately, mostly because it starts fast, not because it has the best quality. The truth is, there are too many variables and you haven't provided enough information about what type of content you want to stream. User codec support is also important - people might not be able to see your video at all if they don't have the right codec installed.

You should probably just do some experiments on your own and see which one you think is best.

q-live
12-18-2005, 05:28 AM
let me know if im wrong but i also use the swf files because you dont need a streaming server and people cant download it. but if i put a avi, mpeg or wmv files and link people right click and do save as, and also i heard i need a streaming server for those to stream. I also use swf because a lot of host that dont like video on them wont check a swf file so its more universal to me.

Jason Dunn
12-18-2005, 05:57 AM
let me know if im wrong but i also use the swf files because you dont need a streaming server and people cant download it.

Yes, that's correct, Flash video streams very nicely and without needing a server.

Janak Parekh
12-19-2005, 02:59 AM
This conversation is probably better suited to DMT (www.digitalmediathoughts.com), but anyway... can't WMV stream off a web server without additional software as well? Isn't WMP "smart enough"? I've seen some prebuffering here and there when I click on links, and it doesn't seem like they're running a media server.

--janak