View Full Version : Software to integrate PPC, cell phone and BT headset?

Donny Bahama
12-14-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm looking for software that will let me keep my cell phone in my briefcase and use my Pocket PC (and a bluetooth headset) for all the phone functionality. (The phone would still be doing all the work - dialing, communicating with the headset, etc.) The PPC would just be sort of a controller...

I envision something that would allow me to bring up a contact (or an appointment that contains a contact) on my PPC, then press a button that says, "Dial" and it will send a signal (via bluetooth) to my phone, which will then make the call. I then talk to the person via the headset.

For incoming calls, the phone would signal the Pocket PC, sending it the Caller ID. The Pocket PC would "wake up", play an alert tone and display the caller ID info (and photo) for the person calling.

Does this exist?

I know I could achieve this with a Pocket PC that has the cell phone built in, but those are (A) expensive (especially if you don't sign a 2 year contract to get the price down!) and (B) they're just too big. I like my Dell Axim X30. It's small & thin enough to carry in my pocket without feeling uncomfortable or super-bulky. If I could just get some kind of bluetooth cell phone integration software, I'd be a happy man...

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions/Recommendations?

Nurhisham Hussein
12-15-2005, 01:32 AM
You can read more info on this type of thing here:

http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17757

The short answer is unfortunately no, there isn't any software that can do the kind of usability your envisioning, though not through lack of wishing. The basic problem is that while it's a fairly simple matter to dial a number on your phone via bluetooth, the call won't be transferred to your headset - unless you're using a wired one, which makes the whole exercise close to pointless. The only app that comes close to my knowledge is RVGSM, but it (the transfer function) only works with certain Sony Ericsson phones - mine's not compatible sadly.

jlp
12-15-2005, 04:18 AM
I haven't tried these as I don't have a PPC with BT as of now. But I have been looking around for such solution and came across 2 programs that seem to behave like what you're looking for:
- Applian PhoneKing (http://www.applianmobile.com/). However development has halted as BT is terribly implemented without real standard on the phones and PPCs. I.e. PK only works with some older phones from 2-3 years ago like the SonyEricsson T68i. The editor doesn't sell it on its own anymore BUT it still seems to be part of two of their nice (and quite affordable) bundles: Productivity Bundle (7 programs for $30) and Super Incredible Bundle (20 programs for $40).

I bought the second bundle a couple of years back and really like it.

The second solution that looks like it's able to do this as well is Pocket Phone Tools Pro by Avanquest. It's more specialized as it does faxing, SMS and the dialer feature that looks like what you're looking for.

As I said I haven't tested them.

Whisper
12-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Frow what I can make out, phones can only connect to one BT device at a time. I find if the BT headset is connected, I can't BT dial. If the pocket PC is connected, I can BT dial but can't pick up the call with the headset. So it doesn't really matter what dialler software you get.

Cybrid
12-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Frow what I can make out, phones can only connect to one BT device at a time. I find if the BT headset is connected, I can't BT dial. If the pocket PC is connected, I can BT dial but can't pick up the call with the headset. So it doesn't really matter what dialler software you get.Depends.
the BT stack v 1.1 was single device. 1.2 and higher? are PAN capable.

victore
12-31-2005, 01:21 AM
It's also going to be a function of the phone. I used to use a Toshiba e800 (with a Socket BT card), a Motorola HS810 headset and a Siemens S56, but my phone could only work connected with one device at a time. In your situation, you'd want the phone to be paired up with the headset and the PDA at the same time.