View Full Version : Phone and PDA

hbguy
12-14-2005, 09:28 AM
I am moving my cell service to Verizon in Feb. I want a Bluetooth able Pocket PC to dial my Bluetooth able phone via Bluetooth hands free kit. I would like to use Microsoft Voice Command if possible.

I need a recommendation for a Pocket PC device and phone. 2 separate devices. I already have a Pocket PC phone with T-Mobile but the service is not all that good.

Do all current Bluetooth able phones from Verizon work with Bluetooth able Pocket PCs?

The Pocket PC can be used. I would like the phone to be new.

Please advise.

Thanks.

waterboy
12-14-2005, 11:25 PM
check out this web page at Verizon to see what bluetooth profiles are functional with each of their bluetooth enabled phones.

http://dts.vzw.com/pdf/bluetooth_chart_handsets.pdf

While I'm not a Verizon customer (Alltel, instead), I've found that PDA bluetooth to phone is pretty much useless except for the phone to function as a low speed modem for the pda.

I have a Motorola V710, which has limited bluetooth functionality. For instance, I can dial a number from my pda contact list (iPAQ hx4700) while connected to the phone by bluetooth, and the phone will dial the number. Unfortunately, it always dials it through the modem, so that's no help unless I'm trying to connect to my ISP.

Also, while I can sync the phone and the pda, I can't do it using bluetooth. You have to buy Motorola's cable connection kit and software to do that.

You'll want to check the specific profiles out on each phone carefully before you buy, and don't expect the saleperson to understand what profiles will work with each phone. You'll need to check the phone manufacturer's web site for bluetooth specifications to see exactly what bluetooth capabilities that specific phone has.

BigDaddy
12-16-2005, 03:58 AM
I would tell you to hold off for a while. Verizon seems to have limits on their bluetooth enabled phones/PDAs using the Internet. They got FCC approval a few months ago for their version of the WONDERFUL PPC-6700 (bought one and LOVE IT..though I still use my hx2755 and my tmobile EDGE enabled phone)...so I think in the next few weeks you should see it... Or if you really need something now, I would go with a similar option I am using but with another provider such as T-Mobile which offers EDGE (120K max) for a cheap 19.99 per month (sometimes cheaper $9.99 a month) compared to the 80.00 per month version and cingular want for high speed access...