View Full Version : What is Mobile 2003 SE doing to my card at midnight?

burtcom
12-12-2005, 11:15 PM
I know that at midnight the device wakes up, does some housekeeping chores, and goes back to sleep. Apparently one of the chores it wants to do is trash my SD Storage Card :twisted:

I've stayed up to see this actually happen -- often after the device (an HP rx3115) does it's thing, the 1GB SanDisk SD card _appears_ corrupted. some file names are messed up, folders may appear twice, etc.

If I do anything to cause data to be written to the card, then it can really be corrupted. If I remove then reinstall the card, or do a soft reset, all is well. Putting the card into a PC and running CHKDSK reports no problem.

Anyone else see this? Any ideas on what task the device is trying to perform that messes up the directory listing?

It happens quite a few times a week, but it does not always happen. I'm at a loss. :?

PetiteFlower
12-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Do you have any programs installed on the card?

burtcom
12-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Yes -- quite a few programs are installed on the card. None of them are (usually) running when I shut down at the end of the day, though. I use SPB Pocket Plus to shut them down for real.

PetiteFlower
12-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Any of them have today screen plugins? Or are associated with the calender maybe? Just a guess.

pocketpcadmirer
12-13-2005, 09:46 AM
dear burcom, I think you have enabled auto backup feature of ipaq backup application. So it wakes up at midnight.

Try disabling auto-backup feature by going to options of aforementioned application

Sunny

gpstoloff
12-13-2005, 10:47 AM
It also might be updating the notification queue for appointment alarms for the next day, if you don't have enough memory to hold more than a day's worth of memory.

burtcom
12-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks, all for your replies!

I do have some Today stuff on the card -- SPB Diary and SPB Weather. It was behaving like this before I installed those, however, so I don't think that's it. I'll try disabling them then see if that helps though.

I don't have the auto backup turned on, so that's not it.

I believe it has something to do with the maintennance-at-midnight, though. I'll try making sure there's as much free memory as possible before I shut the device off at night and see if it helps. (I try to keep memory as high as possible, which is why I install most of the apps to the storage card.)

PetiteFlower
12-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Well installing programs with today plugins to a storage card is never a good idea.

It could also be that your card is going bad. Have you tried doing a full scandisc on it?