View Full Version : No buttons showing in Add or Remove Programs

ctmagnus
12-11-2005, 03:36 AM
Has anyone ever seen this?

Link to a screenshot of the Add or Remove Programs applet in my Control Panel (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/3482/add-remove%20progs.PNG)

Essentially, I have no buttons in the Add/Remove Programs applet in Control Panel, so I am unable to remove any programs.

Is there a fix for it?

Darius Wey
12-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Ick. :(

Tried reinstalling Windows?

ctmagnus
12-11-2005, 04:47 AM
Unfortunately, it's one of those infamous Tablet PCs that came without a Windows disc. However, I had the foresight to enable the recovery console. Can anything be done with it in this case?

Darius Wey
12-11-2005, 04:50 AM
Can you use the recovery CDs to restore the device to factory defaults (though that might nuke some of your program settings, so you might want to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Accessories > System Tools before attempting the aforementioned)?

ctmagnus
12-11-2005, 05:03 AM
It looks like I may have to do that. :bad-words: There's not much in the recovery console that looks like it's much use in this case, and logging in as Admin in safemode produces the same results in Add/Remove Programs.

However, school ends for the semester in less than a week, so I'll try to wait until then before I do anything. With any luck, it'll have cleared itself up by then.

Thx for the tip about the File and Settings Transfer Wizard, though; I never remember about things like that in times like this.

ctmagnus
12-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Hmm...

I ran the File and Settings Transfer Wizard to my D: drive and moved the folder I created for the purpose to removable media, as the partition got blown away during the restore anyway. Then I copied the folder back to restore the settings and the wizard gives me a "The location that you specified does not contain stored information..." error.

Fortunately, I also created a zipped backup of all my data using HandyBackup, but for some reason, the files in the zip file all lost their date info.