View Full Version : Curse These Long-Lasting Batteries!

Brad Adrian
12-10-2005, 03:49 AM
I never thought I'd be saying this, but for once the longer-lasting batteries of modern Pocket PCs are driving me nuts!

After upgrading my HP 2755 to WM5, something went kerflooey when trying to install an app. It got caught in an installation loop and the only way to kill it is to do a hard reset. But, for some reason the loop is keeping me from doing a hard reset. So, I thought I'd just unplug the device, disconnect the battery and wait for the inevitable low-power hard reset.

Well, that was almost a WEEK ago, and still no reset!! I guess I should be happy, but I really want to get my device back to good health.

I bet THAT'S a problem nobody else has had!!

Darius Wey
12-10-2005, 04:26 AM
I think under the current Windows Mobile 5.0 model, you could leave the batteries dead for a year and it still wouldn't hard-reset. That's the beauty of the new "persistent storage" feature. Even without juice, the data stored in the non-volatile flash ROM will remain intact.

Better start looking into performing that hard-reset the proper way (buttons, stylus and all). But are you positive the software installation is preventing the device from doing it?

Patrick Y.
12-11-2005, 09:08 PM
If you can't accomplish a hard-reset, I guess you should contact HP for replacement. It doesn't have anything to do with the battery. As Darius said, with WM5, no matter how long you take out the battery, it will never hard reset. :wink: Anyway, good luck!