View Full Version : Convertme (freeware) is great to migrate Palm to Outlook/PPC

rawb
12-09-2005, 03:53 AM
Just wanted to recommend this piece of software. After doing a lot of research on the best way to migrate my palm over I found this and after 30 minutes, everything was converted!

Addresses and notes convert great. I don't use my calendar or tasks much so I can't comment on whether that works.

Note the only somewhat difficult part is that you have to enable "Collaboration Data Objec" on your computer (need the Windows XP cd). but everything is pretty easy and you aren't exposing your computer to a virus or anything.

Works better than any other method I've tried. Read the commentary below for a similar experience.

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/commentary/myconversion.htm

Jeff NYC
12-09-2005, 03:23 PM
Rawb:

I have been slowly gearing up for my move from the Treo 650 to the Samsung i730 and have done some preliminary testing of syncing my Palm data into Outlook and then into the PPC. I found that the Palm contact fields end up in odd Outlook contact fields and do not sync over to the PPC. In other words, my phone numbers in the Palm database are buried in the Outlook database as "Primary Line 3", etc and hence don't show up in the PPC when synced.

How did convertme handle this???? Thanks....

Just wanted to recommend this piece of software. After doing a lot of research on the best way to migrate my palm over I found this and after 30 minutes, everything was converted!

Addresses and notes convert great. I don't use my calendar or tasks much so I can't comment on whether that works.

Note the only somewhat difficult part is that you have to enable "Collaboration Data Objec" on your computer (need the Windows XP cd). but everything is pretty easy and you aren't exposing your computer to a virus or anything.

Works better than any other method I've tried. Read the commentary below for a similar experience.

http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/commentary/myconversion.htm

rawb
12-12-2005, 04:57 AM
I've tried other converters too and encountered problems but surprizingly I can't say anything negative about Convertme.

On my ppc, under contacts, I can see names and their relevant numbers on the right. Even the categories synced properly. Work numbers are under work, home numbers are under home etc. Notes go into the notes field. Amazing compared to the other programs I've used really.

Palm addresses go into the PPC "Other address" category. Not really a problem. Even categories are the synced properly. But you can't browse contacts/memos by categories on you PPC, only in Outlook. Categories are also preserved on your notes.

All the data seems to be preserved from what I can tell. No real need to edit anything.

Jeff NYC
12-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Palm addresses go into the PPC "Other address" category. Not really a problem. Even categories are the synced properly. But you can't browse contacts/memos by categories on you PPC, only in Outlook. Categories are also preserved on your notes.

Thanks for the feedback Rawb. Let me ask you one or two follow-ups. If Palm addresses showed up in the "Other Address" field in Outlook, is there a way to mass move them into home or work addresses, etc in Outlook? Also, can you confirm that when the Palm addresses show up in "other" they are actually viewable on the PPC? I found that even though all my data made it into Outlook, very little was actually viewable in the PPC.

Thanks...

rawb
12-14-2005, 08:35 AM
I haven't looked for a way to transfer the addresses over from "other" to other fields. Mainly because it doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

I don't think having all your addresses under "other addresses" will cause you any problems for your PPC (at least if its WM5.0). When I view my contacts in my PPC it shoes the address without a problem. It basically shows all the info for a contact on one screen. If you tap the screen you go into another screen where you get all the entry subsections.

Note, I don't usually have more than one address for any single contact and if I do I split them up into different categories (USA, Canada). Only problem is it takes so many clicks to go through categories in WM5.0 compared to Palm. And it doesn't remember which category you last searched in.

Anyways, testing some more I just realized that the annoying part is viewing adresses in Outlook. The default address is Business and I can't see any of my "other" addresses without making an extra couple clicks to switch the address to "Other". At least once you can change the default view to "other" so you don't have to change it again for that contact.

Oh well. Not perfect but all my information is preserved and at least "other addresses" appears fine on my ppc.