View Full Version : Do I Really Need an x50/51v?

TechNut
12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
I need a PDA to use with my phone mostly for DUN/light internet, book storage, and music playback. I do not watch movies on it so I do not think that having VGA is a big deal. I do not use compact flash very often.

If money is not the issue, why would I buy a x50/51v ($350), vs. a new x30 ($250)? With all of the problems that the 50/51v is having, is it really better and worth $100 more?

PetiteFlower
12-08-2005, 05:17 PM
You can't get a new X30 now, it's no longer being sold as a new item.

If you don't need VGA, I'd suggest the X51 mid-range, it still has wifi and bluetooth for internet access and is less money then the X51v.

TechNut
12-08-2005, 06:08 PM
There are new x30s available on eBay.

Sven Johannsen
12-08-2005, 09:59 PM
If money is not the issue, why would I buy a x50/51v ($350), vs. a new x30 ($250)? With all of the problems that the 50/51v is having, is it really better and worth $100 more?

Yes, with the CF slot, VGA screen, VGA out, bigger ROM (IIRC), nicer physical design (IMHO) it's worth $100 more. Maybe not to you though, if those things aren't important to you.

PetiteFlower
12-08-2005, 10:08 PM
They may be new but they won't be supported by Dell or have warrenties. I wouldn't suggest an ebay purchase when it's only going to be a $50 savings or less.

TechNut
12-08-2005, 11:37 PM
They may be new but they won't be supported by Dell or have warrenties. I wouldn't suggest an ebay purchase when it's only going to be a $50 savings or less.

Unfortunately the savings between the two PDAs (x30 & 51v) that I am looking at is closer to $100. The savings on the 51v (Dell vs. ebay) is around $80. There is a claim of available warranties on eBay.

The other part of my question deals with the problems that x50/51 users are having. Believe me, I have never been afraid to take on the challenge of a high tech toy and I am not in fear of the 51v. This one boils down to whether or not, because of the way I use a PDA, it would be better to avoid the headache, and go with the tried and true.

Darius Wey
12-09-2005, 04:35 AM
The other part of my question deals with the problems that x50/51 users are having. Believe me, I have never been afraid to take on the challenge of a high tech toy and I am not in fear of the 51v. This one boils down to whether or not, because of the way I use a PDA, it would be better to avoid the headache, and go with the tried and true.

For what it's worth, I've tried and tested an X51v and have had absolutely no problems. I currently own an X50v, and again, it works great.

I'd say out of all the X50v/X51v users in the world, the happy ones far outweigh the unhappy ones. Most reports you see on the forums are from people who have had problems with the device (a bit like the reports of the Xbox 360 over-heating/crashing: the media created huge hype over it, but it was such a SMALL minority of all users).

If I had my way, I'd go for the X51v. You might even be able to avoid eBay. Dell often has some awesome sales on the device, particularly around the Christmas period.

TechNut
12-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Last night I drifted toward the 50v ($305 shipped new from eBay). A refurb from Dell would be $311 + tax. I had initially decided against the 50v but I now think that it would allow me to avoid WM5 and get almost the same unit.

PetiteFlower
12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I think the reports of problems with WM5 are vastly overrepresented in the forums. It works a lot better then WM2003 for me.

TechNut
12-09-2005, 04:24 PM
I think the reports of problems with WM5 are vastly overrepresented in the forums. It works a lot better then WM2003 for me.

So there are those out there who are not having to be cautious about leaving the bluetooth radio turned on etc. when using WM5? Interesting.

PetiteFlower
12-09-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't use bluetooth, but I haven't even heard of a problem with the bluetooth radio, only complaints about the MS bluetooth stack.

TechNut
12-09-2005, 04:56 PM
What I was refering to was a problem that the 51v was having. The temporary fix was the problem was to leave the bluetooth radio on.

I do use bluetooth for DUN. I hope that it works. I am slowly moving towards the 51v. I hope to end the agony today.

shindullin
12-12-2005, 08:41 PM
I think the problem you are referring to is the "white screen" *of death*. Some people's screen would turn white when placed in the cradle. You would have to soft reset to get it back to normal functionality. I had it once (with bluetooth turned on) when I put the pda in the cradle. I did a soft reset and it was fine. I am using the A01 version of the ROM, not the A04 which I install in the next few weeks. Otherwise, I had a problem finding my wireless hub once. (also fixed after a soft reset). I also had a problem once where I inserted a sd card and it "lost" the previously inserted cf card (a more common problem that was apparently addressed by the A04 Rom update so I didn't bother to try to fix it, I just took out the CF card and used one card at a time). Most of the problems reported about WM5 over on Aximsite seem to be related to 50v's that were upgraded to WM5. Then after the A04 version update was released the number of problem posts started to drop on the few that were 51v related. That was the factor that got me to finally stop waiting and buy a x51v myself. I tried using the machine without the A04 ROM installed and it's only had a few minor hiccups so I've been lazy about updating the ROM. I figured I better hurry up after I got my first white screen last night. :oops: knock on wood. I'll do it in the next few weeks.

TechNut
12-12-2005, 09:04 PM
I decided last Friday to go ahead with the x51v purchase. I too believe that most of the WM5 problems were upgrade related. I hope that I did the right thing.

shindullin
12-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Good luck!! Hope everything works great, and whether they do or not, please keep us posted.