View Full Version : Is a Zune to iPod Converter Cable In Our Future?

Aaron Roma
03-07-2007, 04:06 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.slashgear.com/zune-to-ipod-cable-in-very-early-stages-of-gestation-024162.php' target='_blank'>http://www.slashgear.com/zune-to-ipod-cable-in-very-early-stages-of-gestation-024162.php</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;A common complaint levelled at Microsoft&rsquo;s Zune is the relative scarcity of aftermarket accessories like speaker-docks and charging cables compared to the better-established iPod. Obviously it would&rsquo;ve been too much to hope that Microsoft and Apple could&rsquo;ve worked together for the good of the consumer, so we&rsquo;ll have to rely on enterprising enthusiasts instead. The guys and gals over at Zuney.net have set themselves the goal of not only producing a pin-out diagram for the Zune&rsquo;s connector, but constructing a Zune to iPod cable too.&quot;</em></p><p><em></em></p><p>While this project is still in its early stages, it is an interesting concept. A small converter cable that would allow you to use iPod accessories with your Zune could be convenient. I would think that such a device would be most beneficial to someone that previously owned an iPod and accessories and is wishing to migrate to a Zune, more so than someone looking to purchase new accessories. Obviously the selection of Zune accessories doesn't come close to that of the iPod, personally I can't think of any particular accessory available for an iPod that I don't have an available option for my Zune. Is there any particular iPod accessory that you would use such a converter for?</p>

tbird
03-07-2007, 07:35 AM
http://www.slashgear.com/zune-to-ipod-cable-in-very-early-stages-of-gestation-024162.php

While this project is still in its early stages, it is an interesting concept. A small converter cable that would allow you to use iPod accessories with your Zune could be convenient. Obviously the selection of Zune accessories doesn't come close to that of the iPod, personally I can't think of any particular accessory available for an iPod that I don't have an available option for my Zune. Is there any particular iPod accessory that you would use such a converter for?

I think that this would be a good idea. Where I live Zune accessories are very hard to find.
Took me a couple of weeks to even find a case for it. And while looking at accessories on the net is ok, when handing over a hundred dollars or more for something I like to at least hold it first.
Got my Zune at Costco, and am happy to say the Zune display case is almost allways empty, while the IPod case isn't. But while in Costco this past weekend I noticed lots of IPod accessosries, but nothing for Zune.
So such a converter cable would be nice, but better yet lets get more Zune stuff out there.

mrozema
03-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Is there any particular iPod accessory that you would use such a converter for?

The stereo mic. :D

zomigi
03-20-2007, 02:19 PM
I would use it for the camera connector:
http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=CFD85

I'm going on a long trip in May and will not be taking my laptop, and it would be wonderful to be able to just use a plug like this to transfer photos off my camera and onto my Zune. Do they already have something like this for a Zune? I haven't seen such a thing, but I'd *love* to be proven wrong.

Zoe

(edited just to subscribe)

david_marvin
03-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Many cars on the market today have an iPod interface. I believe Microsoft is going the wireless route with the auto industry; however, this leaves owners of existing vehicles with built-in iPod interface cables (and steering wheel controls) excluded from their target market. An iPod to Zune interface cable converter would be a great addition to the Zune accessories.

TorkAngegh
10-13-2008, 05:57 AM
for my birthday my dad hooked up my car with a new sound system that has a ipod connection....which is retarded on his part b\c he also got me a zune the year before so i would use it for that

mjkrooker
12-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I’ve put together a Zune -> iPod cable that works for me. It provides charging to the Zune, and gets audio output from the Zune, both through the iPod connector.

http://mike.kruckenberg.com/archives/2008/12/connect-your-zune-to-an-ipod-or-iphone-dock.html

It's not the ultimate solution, but it might be enough for some folks.

Sven Johannsen
12-29-2008, 10:12 PM
for my birthday my dad hooked up my car with a new sound system that has a ipod connection....which is retarded on his part b\c he also got me a zune the year before so i would use it for that

What a dufus. He actually GAVE you A NEW SOUND SYSTEM, and a NEW MP3 PLAYER that wouldn't integrate? People like that shouldn't be allowed to procreate. :rolleyes:

Car integration...real integration, including steering wheel controls... is what I would use such an interface capability for as well. If anyone has found any such capability, let us know.

johnumb
01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Both my Scion xB and my Home surround sound have a place to put your iPod. I just bought a Zune for my wife for Christmas that’s what I would use the cable for