View Full Version : flash hx2415 ppc2k3se ROM to hx2495?

heov
12-06-2005, 10:36 PM
What do you guys think? Would this be possible? WM5 straight up sucks IMO. it lags everywhere, and the persistant storage isn't worht it, imo.

So do you think it would be possible to flash the 2415's ROM on here? Would the program even let me (I haven't tried yet). I'm looking over hte specs, and it seems the only difference is the ROM size.

The hx2495 still has a backup battery, so you could swap batteries.

what do you guys think? Worth a shot, or do you have facts/know it will not work? I understand that I could get an ipaq paperwight, but I'm willing to take that risk if no one knows why it wouldn't work.

Thanks

haesslich
12-06-2005, 10:43 PM
I think you're better off going eBay or finding a friend with a gently used 2415 and doing a straight-up trade, really - WM2003SE assumes that you've got all RAM, and not flash ROM, from what I recall, so while you could flash the 2415 to become a 2495, I don't believe you could flash the 2495 to become a 2415, due to the difference in actual physical memory.

Also, the tech specs on the HP site don't specify an actual backup battery in the 2495 - I personally wouldn't risk it. I find WM5 to be speedy enough to do most things, so long as there's enough RAM to run programs. Or, if you have the cash and can find one, why not get a 2755 instead? Double the RAM of a 2795 (128MB versus 64), with the faster 624MHz clockspeed.

heov
12-07-2005, 12:08 AM
I think you're better off going eBay or finding a friend with a gently used 2415 and doing a straight-up trade, really - WM2003SE assumes that you've got all RAM, and not flash ROM, from what I recall, so while you could flash the 2415 to become a 2495, I don't believe you could flash the 2495 to become a 2415, due to the difference in actual physical memory.

Also, the tech specs on the HP site don't specify an actual backup battery in the 2495 - I personally wouldn't risk it. I find WM5 to be speedy enough to do most things, so long as there's enough RAM to run programs. Or, if you have the cash and can find one, why not get a 2755 instead? Double the RAM of a 2795 (128MB versus 64), with the faster 624MHz clockspeed.

videos and stuff are fine. web browsing is fine too. the overall system lags, in terms of button presses, in terms of hitting start, in terms of listing your programs.

i really can't stand it. maybe i was spoiled by my tx, but everything on it was instant- literrally, instant! even in ppc2k3 devices i've used that have this process and ram. Hititng start did not product a slight delay (when i turn on the unit, there's a delay for start). when i go to settings, i usually have to wait a second for it to list.

it's just little things like that. Anyway, I tried it and it said I don't have the right device.

Oh well. I guess I'm still trying to decide what to do. Problem is i only have store credit, and there's nothing i really want, and I can't get any cash out of it w/o selling it myself lol. hopefully a rom update will be out soon to fix the host of issues i'm having.

haesslich
12-07-2005, 04:40 AM
Try eBay or selling it to a friend, or look for someone with a 2755 or 2415 and seeing if you can arrange a trade, then. :D

Mind you, I'll probably find out how snappy it is myself in a bit - the $50 instant rebate and double the RAM helped tip the scales for me.

heov
12-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Try eBay or selling it to a friend, or look for someone with a 2755 or 2415 and seeing if you can arrange a trade, then. :D

Mind you, I'll probably find out how snappy it is myself in a bit - the $50 instant rebate and double the RAM helped tip the scales for me.

if you're coming from a 1955, i think the difference alone is worth it. The entire unit just seems so much faster. Even writing on the screen, like in Notes, seems to echo faster on the 2495 than it did on teh 1955.

Also another thing about WM5 is that if you leave wifi on, and turn the unit off, it still drains the battery. I lose 4-5% / hr that way. In fact, the BLUE LED still flashes every other minute for 5s.

I'm just being picky though. I'm sure all these problems will hopefully be fixed with a new rom update.

haesslich
12-07-2005, 07:51 AM

if you're coming from a 1955, i think the difference alone is worth it. The entire unit just seems so much faster. Even writing on the screen, like in Notes, seems to echo faster on the 2495 than it did on teh 1955.

Also another thing about WM5 is that if you leave wifi on, and turn the unit off, it still drains the battery. I lose 4-5% / hr that way. In fact, the BLUE LED still flashes every other minute for 5s.

I'm just being picky though. I'm sure all these problems will hopefully be fixed with a new rom update.

The RAM was the key issue for me - I could live with the browsing, the movie playing, and so on being a tad slow - videos were snappy enough once loaded. However, in the end, it was the RAM (and lack of it) which caused me to go back to the store and demand a credit for it so I could go to the next level up. I wasn't even aware of the instant rebate at the time, which tells you just how much I detested the RAM problem... which you yourself harped upon at some length.

Taking $50 off the top certainly helped move me along, though. And since I don't leave WiFi on when I turn off a unit, I don't think the battery drain from WiFi will be an issue - I tend to turn off all wireless services when I power down for any extended period of time. I also minimize applications during this, and so have apparently avoided a lot of the problems you experienced with WM5.

As I mentioned in another thread, the h1950's a pretty if air-headed iPaq - it's pretty to look at, feels good in the hand, but asking it to do more than one thing at a time is courting trouble... and with large programs, you're going to have problems no matter what else you do to avoid issues. After dealing with one day of trying to read Adobe PDF files and finding my memory had dropped from 12MB to about 1MB free, and having the system choke when trying to load a 2MB or so PDF... and then freeze if the PDF was left alone when the system auto-shutdown after a few minutes of idling... well, I had to agree with you to the point where I ended up taking it back to replace it with a less glamorous but harder-working model.

64MB is the absolute MINIMUM WM5 needs to run, from everything I've read and from my own experience - why HP decided 32MB was enough for 'stable operation', I'll never know. I'm still wondering why they chopped down the 2750/55's memory from 128MB to 64 for the 2790/95 - if it was cost-cutting or to increase the battery life, then they sacrificed too much, especially given how cheap SD cards are these days.

Say, have you had the startup problems using CF cards as storage only, rather than as cards used to run programs? I'm thinking about running programs off the SD card, keeping startup programs on the internal storage, and using the CF to handle just media and documents.

haesslich
12-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Been playing with the 2490 tonight - PDFs load MUCH faster, videos play more smoothly (even the ones at ridiculously high encoding rates like 5455Kbits - normal for desktop, but insane for PocketPC), and everything seems much more responsive - possibly due to a combination of improved processor and better memory availability... and the 35MB free RAM means it's not spending every five seconds shutting down programs to increase the available space for program execution. :D I just wish it had 128MB of RAM, myself.

And yes, your Palm's spoiled you - Palms in general are snappier than their PPC counterparts, with the TX being a particularly good performer even with its lower-speed CPU due to the amount of NVFS RAM it has to open applications, which themselves are far smaller than their PPC versions.