View Full Version : Podcasts

kgb
12-05-2005, 03:59 AM
What is the easiest way to download audio & video podcasts to a PDA? I have the Samsung i730 and found Avantgo RSS access. Other ideas? Any help would be appreciated!

Darius Wey
12-05-2005, 04:08 AM
What is the easiest way to download audio & video podcasts to a PDA? I have the Samsung i730 and found Avantgo RSS access. Other ideas? Any help would be appreciated!

Why not try a podcast "reader"? FeederReader (http://www.feederreader.com/) is a good example.

gregmills
12-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Egress (http://www.garishkernels.net/egress.html) is the best RSS/Podcast client I've found. I looked at the features of every program I could find and I tested 3 of them (including FeederReader). Nothing works as well or was as intuitive to use as Egress was.

It handles enclosures very well and pushes them to WMP for playback. I haven't tested it but I'm guessing that as long as your video podcast is distributed in a format that WMP understands it should fine. Even if it doesn't you should still be able to download the files and then open something like TCPMP (http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about) to view them.

GSmith
12-05-2005, 04:39 PM
FeederReader will allow you to download any file format and it will launch any program from FeederReader, whether WMP, TCPMP, Pocket Excel, or Acroread. It also handles file management for you from download to launch to delete: all with one tap. And this includes file management integration with a BitTorrent client. Many people who try both FeederReader and Egress tell me that, in terms of user interface, which one you choose is a matter of preference. At the Portable Media and Podcast Expo, there were many people that told me they prefer FeederReader for podcasts and videocasts.

I maintain the FeederReader Forums where I help everyone who asks a question. I have a lot of users and I answer a lot of questions.

In FeederReader, you can have programmable toolbars and programmable export commands (there's a sample "Big Play Buttons" toolbar available that's useful in the car). For experts, you can get access to the raw file as well as the XML elements and attributes of each message. You can read news, listen to podcasts, and download videocasts all at the same time.

Of course, I think it's worth a try. And if you don't like it, I would love to hear your reasons why on the FeederReader Forums. The more detailed the better. That's the main way that FeederReader improves: with user feedback.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video, podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

kgb
12-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions; I am trying Newsbreak by Iliumsoft and seems to work for what I need (30 day trial).

Now I have a problem with downloading the podcasts! I have 200MB free on an SDIO card, but I get an error that says"There is not enough space on the disk.", even if the file is only 19.0MB. Is there a setting which needs to be changed, or what am I missing?

Nurhisham Hussein
12-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Inside Newsbreak go to Tools->Data Storage and tick the checkbox. If you're still having the problem, then it probably means Newsbreak is caching the download in RAM first, so you'll have free up some space somewhere.

gregmills
12-06-2005, 03:19 AM
I never tried Newsbreak because I didn't see podcasting or enclosures in any of the feature lists for the product. I'm not out of my trial period for Egress yet so I may give it a shot.

dhpss
12-08-2005, 12:09 AM
On PC: use Juice (former iPodder) to aggregate audio/video RSS
Use Mobsync to sync between PC and storage card on the PocketPC.

spacerace
01-07-2006, 03:02 PM
I have a T-Mobile Vario (K-Jam) and before that an Orange C550

I tired all 3 clients above and didn't really get on with any of them. I then figured I would give Skookum a go since that was what I used to use on my SmartPhone. It worked perfectly ! It's not an RSS reader, but I really only want it for podcasts so that's fine.

Impressive compatibility this WM5 has...