View Full Version : GPS for HP h5550

gene254
12-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi, new here. Has anyone any comments concerning a GlobalSat BC-337 coupled with an HP h5550?

I would use the cf to pcmcia interface in the HP sleeve that houses the backup battery and two pcmcia card slots.

Not sure what software I would use just yet. ideas?

Thanks.

Cybrid
12-05-2005, 05:48 AM
Hi, new here. Has anyone any comments concerning a GlobalSat BC-337 coupled with an HP h5550?

I would use the cf to pcmcia interface in the HP sleeve that houses the backup battery and two pcmcia card slots.

Not sure what software I would use just yet. ideas?

Thanks.What is your country?
N. America? I'd say mapopolis is one of the best.

gene254
12-05-2005, 06:48 PM
oops, like I said I'm new here!!! Country = USA

Another question while I'm at it . . .
Has anyone compared the GlobalSat BC-337 with the HAiCOM HI-303III ?

Cybrid
12-06-2005, 03:58 AM
oops, like I said I'm new here!!! Country = USA

Another question while I'm at it . . .
Has anyone compared the GlobalSat BC-337 with the HAiCOM HI-303III ?Specs wise they are almost comparable. Down to the 90mA power usage. The edge is the Globalsat which has a SiRF Star III Chipset.

Position Accuracy:
15m 2D RMS, SA off (haicom)
Position Accuracy:
10 meters, 2D RMS, (No SA).(globalsat)

Honestly for what you hope to use it for either will do. It's not going to matter. I like the hinge design from the stand point that the straight CF GPS (GlobalSat BC-307) I own makes the device top heavy.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/globalsat-bc307.php

You can download a demo of Mapopolis and then experiment with it.
www.mapopolis.com This will give you an idea of what to expect. What screen, software, etc limitations are there and whether it is still comfortable to use.

ClieTT
12-17-2005, 05:26 PM
iGuidance is a great software. It supports both Pocket PC and Windows laptop. The link below has lots of detail information.

http://www.inavcorp.com/products/iguidance21.html

If you are interested in GlobalSat BC-337. The bundle below is a good deal.

http://www.semsons.com/globcfgpswig.html

gene254
12-18-2005, 04:30 AM
Thanks to both of you, ClieTT and Cybrid, for your input. I have been doing some more thinking, however, and am more inclined lately to go the bluetooth route and am interested in either the GlobalSat BT-338 or the Rikaline GPS-6330.

I found a GlobalSat unit packaged with Destinator PN software, the Rikaline has no softare package, so I would be left find one on my own.

Any suggestions/thoughts on the hardware involved from either of you, or anyone?

Gene.

mattp
12-21-2005, 03:33 PM
The edge is the Globalsat which has a SiRF Star III Chipset.

The HI-303III also has a SirfIII chipset. You might want to consider purchasing the Haicom and the bluetooth slipper. That way, you can choose whether you use it as a CF or BT.

Cybrid
12-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Thanks to both of you, ClieTT and Cybrid, for your input. I have been doing some more thinking, however, and am more inclined lately to go the bluetooth route and am interested in either the GlobalSat BT-338 or the Rikaline GPS-6330.

I found a GlobalSat unit packaged with Destinator PN software, the Rikaline has no softare package, so I would be left find one on my own.

Any suggestions/thoughts on the hardware involved from either of you, or anyone?

Gene.Sorry, not having tested other GPS units, I'm loathe to offer an opinion.
I'd say that they'll work as advertised and all that remains is to get the right software. Honestly that is where I think you should focus on.
An easy to use GUI, accurate maps, good route calculations.