View Full Version : Printing from Windows Mobile 5?

tgizzo
11-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for...

I need software that would allow me to print from a Windows Mobile 5 PDA (I currently have the Axim x51v) to a network printer (a postscript/PCL printer with a printer server).

I want to print webpages, calendar info, contacts, word and excel files (created on the Axim), and notes.

I've seen software that works with PPC 2003 and below but I haven't seen anything that would print from Windows Mobile 5.

I've also seen software that allows me to print to a printer connected to my PC. I don't need this software since my PDA will typically be the only device I have. I just need to print to any network printer.

Any ideas, hints, comments?

Thanks in advance!

Jose 'Tgizzo'

Stik
12-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Jose,

Not sure if this is what your after :oops: , but it does state...

PIEprint allows printing fully formatted HTML files from within Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE) on Pocket PC (WM 5.0, 2003 & 2002) devices. PIEprint offers a variety of printing options and prints to a wide variety printers using Infrared, Bluetooth, 802.11b wireless network and serial connections.

http://www.fieldsoftware.com/PIEprint.htm

Sven Johannsen
12-01-2005, 04:03 PM
The same Company makes PrintPocketCE which has been popular as a printing solution for some time. Unfortunately for WM5 owners, they state PrintPocketCE prints Pocket Word .PSW and Pocket Excel .PXL file formats.
Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PCs use DOC & XLS file formats which cannot be printed by PrintPocketCE. There are no current plans to add this support into PrintPocketCE

gdimoff
12-01-2005, 04:38 PM
hello,

all the software from the "Activeprint" familly is WM5 compatible. It ranges from Individual, Small Business, Enterprise and Corporate Editions depending on the number of pages u r planing to print.

of mail printing the activeprint Mercrury 1.0 is a great solution

check it out here:

activeprint Mercrury 1.0 (http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/getproduct.php?pname=ActivePrint+Mercrury+1.0)

activeprint - Individual Edition 4.0 (http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/getproduct.php?pname=ActivePrint+-+Individual+Edition+4.0)

activeprint - Small Business Edition 4.0 (http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/getproduct.php?pname=ActivePrint+-+Small+Business+Edition+4.0)

activeprint - Enterprise Edition 4.0 (http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/getproduct.php?pname=ActivePrint+-+Enterprise+Edition+4.0)

activeprint - Corporate Edition 4.0 (http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/getproduct.php?pname=ActivePrint+-+Corporate+Edition+4.0)

more printing software and freeware you can find here:

http://www.mobiletopsoft.com/utilities/printing/

Sven Johannsen
12-01-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm sorry. I don't get it. ActivePrint says
Here's all it takes to print your documents:
-> A Pocket PC Running Pocket PC 2002 or greater
-> An ActiveSync connection (USB, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth) to a Windows 2000/XP desktop or laptop
-> Desktop software that is capable of printing your document types
-> A standard printer connected to you desktop or laptop

If I have an AS connection to a desktop capable of printing my document, why do I need ActivePrint? I just drag the file to the desktop, right click, print. The need is typically at a location where the PPC is not normally connected, to be able to print to a printer without the support of a desktop with AS.

cteel2004
12-03-2005, 08:22 PM
If I have an AS connection to a desktop capable of printing my document, why do I need ActivePrint? I just drag the file to the desktop, right click, print. The need is typically at a location where the PPC is not normally connected, to be able to print to a printer without the support of a desktop with AS.

Sven,
the primary advantage is that you don't have to go through all those steps.

For example, when I'm away from my office I frequently create half a dozen or more documents that I want printed. And in the mean time I have alot other documents that I simply keep on my device all the time but don't want printed. With ActivePrint I can I can queue the documents that I want printed as I go along while away from the office. Then when I get back to the office I just ActiveSync the device and go get my coffee. By the time I'm done getting a cup my documents are waiting for me in my print tray. And I didn't have to go in and manually search for a copy each of the docs to my desktop, print them, and then delete them.

Also, with the new ActivePrint 4 you can send individual files or the files that are queued over a TCP/IP network (such as from within your office, or through a VPN) back to your computer with out establishing an ActiveSync connection. This was intended as a work around for MS removing the remote sync option from AS4 and WM5.

The end result is that you get far greater compatibility for different documents and different printers.

Sven Johannsen
12-03-2005, 10:21 PM
For example, when I'm away from my office I frequently create half a dozen or more documents that I want printed. ...By the time I'm done getting a cup my documents are waiting for me in my print tray.

OK, I get this part, though it is vastly different than what I would, and do use PPC printing for. I tend to want the printout to give to someone when I'm not at my PC. Of course I am dependant on a supported printer. Back at my desk, the thrill is gone, so to speak. But I see the point.

Also, with the new ActivePrint 4 you can send individual files or the files that are queued over a TCP/IP network (such as from within your office, or through a VPN) back to your computer with out establishing an ActiveSync connection.

I didn't see mention of this on the web site, though I could have missed it. I gather it is dependant on software on your PC back at your desk, and that it is on and reachable, correct? And it prints at any printer your PC can print too, right. Again I see your usage benefits, it just doesn't do much for me.

cteel2004
12-03-2005, 11:35 PM
...I gather it is dependant on software on your PC back at your desk, and that it is on and reachable, correct? And it prints at any printer your PC can print too, right. Again I see your usage benefits, it just doesn't do much for me.

Yes, you are correct. It is essentially the same as with the ActiveSync connection method, except the connection is directly to the Windows computer through TCP/IP rather than through ActiveSync.

The main focus of ActivePrint is for those who want to be able to print from their Windows Mobile devices right out of the box. In other words, the ability to print to even the printers with the least features (such as bluetooth or WiFi connectivity) because the fact is most people don't have that kind of connectivity in their printers.

I first got a PPC when I was in college, an iPaq 3630 (back when it was still Compaq that made the iPaq line). All I had in my dorm room was a USB Lexmark printer and my Win 98 laptop. I frequently took notes on my iPaq or found articles on AvantGo that I wanted to print. But in order to do that I had two options. Manually pick and choose the documents I wanted printed when I returned to my dorm room (hoping I remembered all the docs I wanted to print). Or I could buy a new printer bluetooth connectivity, a bluetooth adapter for my iPaq (since they weren't built in yet), and some printing software. And even then I would only be able to print a few document types.

So I came up with ActivePrint to let me print almost anything I use to the printer that I already own.

Sven Johannsen
12-04-2005, 04:55 AM
Cool. I do see the benefit to you and likely others. Just not what I'm looking for when I think of a printing capability on the PPC.