View Full Version : Kingston 4GB CompactFlash Card for $222.50 USD

Jason Dunn
11-29-2005, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4381039/sort_type=price' target='_blank'>http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.c...sort_type=price</a><br /><br /></div>It never ceases to amaze me how quickly the technology world advances, and equally fast prices will drop. A little over a year ago I <a href="http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,6575">reviewed the Kingston 4GB CF card</a> and was wowed by its performance and sheer storage size. At that time the card was $500 USD, so it was priced for people who really wanted a lot of storage. My how things change! I glanced at our <a href="http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/">Pricegrabber feed</a> in the upper right corner of the site and saw that this card, only a year later, is now <a href="http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4381039/sort_type=price">less than half price</a> compared to what it cost a year ago September. I still use this card in my Canon Digital Rebel, and have used it on occasion in my Pocket PC when I've needed big storage. If you're itching for battery-friendly massive storage, this is worth looking at!

GBlyth
11-29-2005, 08:19 PM
I just got one today from TigerDirect for $230 (They are out of stock at Newegg.com) Works great! I am dumping my ripped CD on to now.

yada88
11-29-2005, 08:31 PM
This to me isn't a very good deal. Sure, it's cheaper than it was, but think about this: The 4GB ipod nano is 250$. This card is 20$ cheaper. Who here seriously thinks the memory inside the nano is too big to fit into a CF card? I mean, I haven't seen em taken apart, but they probably use something similar. I think the memory should be cheaper. 230$ sounds like a ripoff when for 20$ more you get a color screened ipon. Of course... it is hard to jam that ipod into a CF slot.

ADBrown
11-29-2005, 08:50 PM
I feel pretty good--I bought one of these around 5 months ago for $200 flat.

Jason Dunn
11-29-2005, 09:07 PM
This to me isn't a very good deal. Sure, it's cheaper than it was, but think about this: The 4GB ipod nano is 250$. This card is 20$ cheaper.

The only reason the Nano is that price is because Samsung gave Apple a discount on the Flash memory in the neighbourhood of 40-50%, and now the Korean government is investigating Samsung for illegal business practices.

yada88
11-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Completely correct. However, Samsung isn't worried about the investigation, meaning they did it cleanly. Also, Apple's recent deals, with Samsung, Nynix (not sure how to spell that), and Intel will assure they continue to have significantly lower costs. I'm not saying Kingston's ripping anyone off. I'm saying i'd rather spend 20$ more for the same memory capacity in a slighly more glamorous package.

mangochutneyman
11-29-2005, 09:21 PM
You can get 4GB SD cards online for about $250 bucks as well...

http://tinyurl.com/aghkm

Jason Dunn
11-29-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm saying i'd rather spend 20$ more for the same memory capacity in a slighly more glamorous package.

Tell me how I can put a Nano in my digital camera, and I'll agree with you. Until then, your argument doesn't make much sense to me. ;-)

yada88
11-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Mr Dunn, I thought you were smart. It's quite simple. Simply take two flat head screwdriver, sitck theminto the memory card slot on your camera, and pull in opposite directions. Then, have someone slide the Nano in while you're doing this. Be careful not to damage the camera though, as that may void your warranty.

Jason Dunn
11-29-2005, 09:36 PM
It's quite simple. Simply take two flat head screwdriver, sitck them into the memory card slot on your camera, and pull in opposite directions.

Can you try it with your digital camera first and take some pictures to show me how? I'd really appreciate it.

aNiMeMaN14
11-29-2005, 10:38 PM
lol, i can't believe people still have devices with CF cards

gibson042
11-29-2005, 11:22 PM
They are used, and will probably continue to be used, in non-point-and-shoot cameras. Especially in the case of high-end models, where SD just isn't big enough to hold 8+ megapixel RAW images. And people with those cameras tend to appreciate PDAs that can read their memory cards.

hoodmeister
11-30-2005, 02:28 AM
Agreed that the only thing I really use CF cards for is my dSLR (Nikon D70)...

It's handy that my X50v can read the cards too, but i'd still rather be using SD for everything...

I don't really understand why most dSLR cams use CF.... I thought SD generally had better read / write speeds anyway?

Don't Panic!
11-30-2005, 02:37 AM
Regardless of the machinations of big business this holds true.; Wait five weeks after Bobby gets one and you can get one for considerably less."

Jason Dunn
11-30-2005, 03:02 AM
It's handy that my X50v can read the cards too, but i'd still rather be using SD for everything...I don't really understand why most dSLR cams use CF.... I thought SD generally had better read / write speeds anyway?

Several reasons:

1) CF technology has been around longer
2) CF cards are generally faster &amp; less expensive
3) CF cards have much more (4x) physical space for the memory, so vendors can use more lower density memory chips

The world is moving towards SD, but CF still has many years left in it.

pocketpcadmirer
11-30-2005, 06:05 AM
It's quite simple. Simply take two flat head screwdriver, sitck them into the memory card slot on your camera, and pull in opposite directions.

Can you try it with your digital camera first and take some pictures to show me how? I'd really appreciate it.

Ha ha ha ha..thats was indeed very funny sir !!

Sunny

Nurhisham Hussein
11-30-2005, 06:18 AM
1) CF technology has been around longer
2) CF cards are generally faster &amp; less expensive
3) CF cards have much more (4x) physical space for the memory, so vendors can use more lower density memory chips

I'd add that they are less prone to FAT corruption as well, at least on PDAs.

Jonathon Watkins
12-01-2005, 01:18 AM

My Canon Pro1 camera has two 1Gb and a 512Mb CF card. My X50v is very useful as an on-site editor previewer. CF still has a lot of life left in it.

disconnected
12-01-2005, 03:46 AM
Has anyone used either of those 4GB SD cards on Newegg that mangochutneyman mentioned? If they work in PPCs, I think I'll put one on my Christmas list. My PPC has both SD and CF slots, but my next one might only have SD, so I'd rather buy an SD card, just in case.

Jason Dunn
12-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Has anyone used either of those 4GB SD cards on Newegg that mangochutneyman mentioned?

I haven't (I'd love one!) but I see no reason why they wouldn't work in Pocket PCs. If a 4GB CF card works, a 4GB SD card should be fine.

1BADRIDE
12-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Where are you folks finding SD cards at 4GB? I haven't seen any over 2GB.

I currently have a 1GB Kingston SD Card and a 4GB Kingston Elite CF Card in my ASUS A730W. I'd love to replace the 1GB SD for a 4GB unit.

Neither of my cards have ever become corrupted, and I've had both cards for well over a year and use them daily (I leave them in my PDA).