View Full Version : T-Mobile MDA Pro: How Can I Obtain in U.S.?

Transpower
11-29-2005, 06:45 PM
I really like the specifications of the MDA Pro (and similar versions of the HTC Universal). However, I've gone to various T-Mobile dealers here, and they all say that they cannot get it here (although one said he would "research" it). I know from other Internet sites that a few Americans have been able to get it, and without paying exorbitant prices. So, what I need is a way to get it inexpensively here in Pennsylvania and then get it unlocked and put on one of T-Mobile's American service plans.

Janak Parekh
11-29-2005, 11:41 PM
What do you consider "reasonable"? Unfortunately, all the sites I have seen charge quite a bit ($900+USD). I'd guess that looking on eBay -- or maybe HowardForums (www.howardforums.com) -- may be your best bet.

--janak

Transpower
11-30-2005, 04:26 AM
I'd say $200 or less plus a standard T-Mobile two-year contract would be reasonable. I'd say $900 would be unreasonable...but we'll see.

Janak Parekh
11-30-2005, 05:11 AM
I'd say $200 or less plus a standard T-Mobile two-year contract would be reasonable.
I don't think you'll see that even if T-Mobile were to offer it. :( I think something like a $499 price point would be more expected, based on previous devices' pricing.

T-Mobile is expected to offer the Wizard/K-JAM in January or so -- if that device suits your needs, you might want to hold out for it and see what price point it hits.

--janak

Transpower
11-30-2005, 07:08 PM
The K-Jam is nice--except for its 320 x 240 screen; I much prefer the MDA Pro (or JasJar) VGA (640 x 480) screen. I plan on installing PocketDOS on it and need to have VGA. Also, I'm sure the keyboard is better. $499 would be tolerable.

Janak Parekh
12-01-2005, 02:46 AM
The K-Jam is nice--except for its 320 x 240 screen; I much prefer the MDA Pro (or JasJar) VGA (640 x 480) screen. I plan on installing PocketDOS on it and need to have VGA. Also, I'm sure the keyboard is better. $499 would be tolerable.
You're correct, and it's clear you've done your research. ;) The issue now is if the Universal will ever be offered here -- because affordable price points are made possible by contract subsidies. As of this point I've heard nothing that suggests it's coming out in the immediate future. As a stopgap, you may want to consider a Bluetooth dial-up solution with a VGA Pocket PC.

I wish I had a better answer for you. :( If it's any consolation, other devices would give you faster data connections, thanks to EDGE, 1xRTT, or EVDO support; the Universal doesn't support any of those, just GPRS and wCDMA, with the latter on a band that won't be used in the US.

--janak